Live Steam VLog Series: Building the UP FEF Northern

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

TheSteamChannel

Live Steam VLog Series: Building the UP FEF Northern

Post by TheSteamChannel »

We're stoked to announce a first of its kind series on The Steam Channel: Building the UP FEF Northern. This series will follow the process of building a 1.5" scale live steam ALCO northern offered by Little Engines. Machining work will be preformed by Jason Johnson of Gemini Industrial Machine Group. Visit our all new website, TheSteamChannel.com, to get exclusive project updates and media. I will also update thread with photos and videos as work progresses on the project.

The best thing we can do to pull younger folks into the hobby is reach them on the media platforms they utilize. This VLog series is being offered totally free of charge on YouTube to teach and educate the up and coming, hobbyists, and interested new comers about steam locomotives. If you'd like to support this project and help offset some of the expenses, you can do so through this secure PayPal link: paypal.me/TheSteamChannel or our Direct PayPal ID: TheSteamChannel@Hotmail.com. Your contribution is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to bringing you the first installment of the series this summer around the Triennial Meet. Until then, keep the water boiling!

You can watch the series reveal video via the YouTube link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jf_bKADK6Y&t=3s
WJH

Re: Live Steam VLog Series: Building the UP FEF Northern

Post by WJH »

You know, I was going to do the exact same thing with building my Little Engines Pacific. I think it’s a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

A most timely bit of wisdom in a visual technology world we now live in. A while back, a good friend photo documented the build of a custom caboose slightly modified from the Keith Jackman plans. The photos were in detail and showed step by step the major and often minor details of construction. Both metal working and wood working elements were included and then edited into a nice Utube video complete with some background music. For a while it was on Utube but was soon pulled due to a complaint in regards to the choice of music source and related copyright issues. While it was up for viewing, I had some good feedback from some young guys who were interested in the hobby but had no clue how to start building something so nice. They downloaded the video and watched in almost daily or more than once a day for inspiration. It was a pleasant change from the usual visual garbage they usually received from all of their peers. The build of a locomotive in video will surely surpass the still images of a nice caboose. This is long overdue and could be a game changer.
TheSteamChannel

Here is the first installment in the building series:
TheSteamChannel

The cross tie castings were delivered from the foundry and Gemini got to work on them straight away. I’ve attached a few photos of the cross ties, front buffer, and the frame section being laid out. The frame section should be completed soon, and we should have another installment published in our LE UP 844 ALCO Northern series by Christmas. To browse the full construction gallery, visit the project page on TheSteamChannel.com https://thesteamchannel.com/building-the-up-northern
Attachments
E1A63094-917F-4FAC-B94A-46718A837A83.jpeg
44E1F1B7-A53A-40F5-8B83-E5774BB6844C.jpeg
DCDA7909-058C-4305-A8AC-57C2C5F88243.jpeg
2147A7C9-940A-44F2-8768-5032D740B1B9.jpeg
3FB622BA-3728-4FA9-BCBC-75994A178B63.jpeg
16BE905C-23F5-4C28-9187-50A97FBF6D70.jpeg
TheSteamChannel

Here is the next installment in our Building UP 844 series. In this video, the cradle, cross ties, front buffer, and equalizer bars/plates are completed and the frame is assembled.
https://youtu.be/IaTyZ31IqgY

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I observed something that isn't a good idea. The operator was wearing gloves while operating the machine. A good way to lose digits, or hands.

Promoting that practice isn't advisable.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
TheSteamChannel

Gemini has been making headway on Section Two of the ALCO Northern Kit. You can see a journal box in the Mill, 4 completed boxes, and the progress on the first driver casting.
Attachments
0BFA9E54-2E5B-45A9-B1BE-5BA014252B24.jpeg
E65F2C36-4FBD-469E-BD06-EEDD6077FACA.jpeg
E7693E8A-A6D5-494E-990B-BD22E92B5751.jpeg
0914DF78-7971-451C-B723-7192E98BDCC5.jpeg
TheSteamChannel

https://youtu.be/LPit0FVyl6E

Here is episode 3 in Building UP 844. This video highlights the completion of the driver sets and crankpins.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Wow! Loose clothing and strings around rotating machinery! Disaster waiting to happen. I have a friend that several years ago was wearing a sweatshirt around a big milling machine. Tool bit caught his sweatshirt and he went around the spindle. It almost killed him.

Jim B
TheSteamChannel

Episode IV is published which covers the construction of the spring rigging and brake brackets for the UP 844.

https://youtu.be/2ry1dLlPS3Y