Gasoline/Alternator electric diesel

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JohnR

Gasoline/Alternator electric diesel

Post by JohnR »

Lust finishing up my diesel E6 build. Was wondering if their are any others stateside doing the same.
I got my start from SMEX site.
I have some questions on charging the battery as my Honda motor does not have an alternator.
Any ideas for pulling off the main drive alternator, the voltage is all over due to speed of the locomotive and
is never constant for charging.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Gasoline/Alternator electric diesel

Post by Glenn Brooks »

John I have wondered about this same thing in my musings over possibly building a similar Loco. Would it be possible to mount the alternator separately from the motor and drive it with a back gear arrangement similar to how south bend lathes are driven? Say with a 3:1 or 4:1 speed ratio? Using some simple cast aluminium hardware store pulleys? And a belt drive off the main shaft? This way slower speeds on the track would maybe turn the alternator fast enuf to produce a decent charge.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

JohnR wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:16 am Lust finishing up my diesel E6 build...I have some questions on charging the battery as my Honda motor does not have an alternator.
Any ideas for pulling off the main drive alternator, the voltage is all over due to speed of the locomotive and is never constant for charging.
I use an automotive alternator in my F-unit to charge the battery and power the 12 volt stuff. The alternator is driven by a timing belt off an accessory shaft on the front of the prime mover. Trying to charge the battery from your traction alternator will quickly get complicated.

F-Unit Alternator
F-Unit Alternator
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

BD dinosaur. Now that’s what I am talking about! Well done!
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Which Honda engine do you have? There are charging kits that can be added to most Honda engines by changing the flywheel and adding charge coils and a rectifier. Parts are about $100 US, varies on which engine.