Gunderson well car

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

dash9

Gunderson well car

Post by dash9 »

Looking at building two or three Gunderson type well cars. Between the cars is only one truck, shared with both cars.
Wondering if any one on here has built one.
Attachments
300px-DTTX_724681_20050529_IL_Rochelle.jpg
300px-DTTX_724681_20050529_IL_Rochelle.jpg (22.24 KiB) Viewed 10482 times
JacobsBogieArticulatedWellCarCanadianPacificTrainBoltonON.jpg
rkcarguy

Re: Gunderson well car

Post by rkcarguy »

I've built several, in HO scale:)
They are available in several types actually, the models I have are a string of three with two shared trucks. Then there are ones in pairs, and others with trucks on each end like normal rolling stock.
On my models, the shared truck is attached to one half and the other half drops onto a pin. In such a large scale, you could have the truck and both ends of the car all on a common bolster bolt, or separate. Like your second picture though, one end will need to fit inside the other, and have the elevation difference at the overlap if you decide to overlap onto the same pin.
dash9

Post by dash9 »

I am waiting on the local hobby store, they ordered me in a Kato set in HO. I can measure it off of the HO cars and start building. Hope to be done in the spring with the Containers also. Looking for scale ribbed steel for the sides but as of now have not found any. Want to have the container doors open and lock as the originals.
TennPass

Post by TennPass »

I believe Scott Weatherford has built a set or two. Can't remember if I saw them on his Facebook or backyard railroads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dash9

Post by dash9 »

L and B and Scott make's them. Sooner build them my self
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I think working from a good model is a pretty good way to go myself:)
Only other options if you can't find drawings are to take a friend, tape measure, likely trespass on RR property, and start measuring?
JoeKahan

Post by JoeKahan »

I'll be watching this with interest. I was just getting into the thinking about planning to build stage on a well car. The prototype I'm using for inspiration is the Greenbrier AP53. Some overall dimensions are on they're website.
https://www.gbrx.com/manufacturing/nort ... stack-car/
Joe Kahan
C.E.O. Paradise and Warm Springs Railway
GE 23T Box Cab
Allen Chloe Project
M.O.W. Highrailer project