3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

squirrel22

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello Jack, I am ready to paint my smoke box and boiler front. Do you have a favorite paint for this? Please let me know. Best regards, Tom
NP317

Post by NP317 »

squirrel22 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 am Hello Jack, I am ready to paint my smoke box and boiler front. Do you have a favorite paint for this? Please let me know. Best regards, Tom
My (not Jack...) recommendation from my postings building a 90-ton logging Mikado:
Paint: I first used the Dupli-Color high temp paint on the smokebox of my Ten Wheeler. The "Cast Iron" color is the closest off-the-shelf paint I've found to classic "steam cylinder oil and graphite" we used to put on full sized logging locomotive smoke boxes. And it has survived the tests of time, still looking very realistic after 10 years of running. No flaking, cracking, or discoloring. Just nicely weathering.

I continue to find the Dupli-Color paints at NAPA auto parts stores, and online.
~RN
SkykomishAug2-14 1 small.jpg
KLS First Run1 small.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks NP317 for the tip about the smoke box paint. That looks really good on your engine. In different parts of the country we have different suppliers and different products available. I can get Duplicolor paint here and will have to give it a try. I have been using NAPA paint and here is a photo of the can. NAPA part number 7250.
It's raining here so today was mostly spent in the shop making things for the J1e. The stack master was finished up. Here are some photos. The first is a cutter that I made and in the second photo it is being used being used to cut the recess for the bolt bosses. The cutter is 1/8" in diameter and the pilot is .062" which is the clear drill size for a #0-80 model bolt which will hold the stack in place. In the third photo all the recesses have been cut. Photo four shows one of the bosses. The bottom photo shows the bosses stuck in place with crazy glue.
Attachments
Smoke Box Paint.jpg
Stack1.jpg
Stack2.jpg
Stack3.jpg
Stack4.jpg
Stack5.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is some more. The first is a shot of the stack with a couple coats of primer. I will let it dry for a few days and then give it a couple more coats. Paint will continue to shrink for a while so you really have to let it dry completely before you know what you have. I want a little more fillet between the bosses and the stack base. And I'll get that by applying more wet coats of paint. Another little trinket that was made today is the master for the smoke box door dogs. These will be held in place with #0-80 studs and hex nuts. Next up will be the headlamp bracket for the front of the smoke box and some handrail stanchions. There will be several different lengths of these. Also the auxiliary stack. It's just too much fun making little baloney like this. I will be taking some of this along with some other little trinkets to the Los Angeles Live Steamers spring meet. Hope to see you there.
Jack
Attachments
Stack6.jpg
Door dog.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a bit of an update. Today I managed to get a couple hours in on the little Hudson. The masters for the handrail stanchions were started. There are four different length stanchions. These are peculiar to New York Central as far as I know. They still must have a hole drilled for the bolt that holds the two parts of the stanchion around the hand rail, and then they will require a couple cuts with the slitting saw. The bolt required is a #00-90. The handrail will be 3/32". The tallest stanchion is 7/16" from the base to the handrail centerline. The shortest is 1/4". The drawing in the photo shows a hex arrangement at the base but the New York Central stanchions didn't have this feature. The mounting hole in the base will be #0-80 or #1-72. I don't know which yet. Decisions, decisions...
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Attachments
Stanchion1.jpg
Stanchion2.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Yesterday the masters for the handrail stanchions were finished up. The hole was located and drilled for the #00-90 model bolt and then a .010" slitting saw was used to separate the clip that will hold the handrail in place. A scale handrail would have been .062" but that won't allow a wire inside and besides, I just think it looks too small. A dimple was put on the underside to locate the mounting stud. The next master to be made will be the headlamp mounting bracket. No shortage of things to do!
Jack
Attachments
Stanchion3.jpg
Stanchion4.jpg
Stanchion5.jpg
Stanchion6.jpg
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

OK, Jack. So the truth is that the little piece you cut off went flying across the shop. The question is: how did you find it? :lol:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Greg, you should know by now that Jack made the stanchions full sized and just has an enormous lathe, vice, mill and saw assembly. Not to mention a full array of gigantic number 2 pencils! :lol:
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Ouch....I dropped my #2 pencil on my foot :D Ha ha, too much fun. That reminds me of a story about John Allen, famous HO scale model builder. He once made a tiny brass switcher, I think HO, and then blew up a photo of a, ( you guessed it ) a pencil. He cut out the photo of the pencil and set it next to the little switcher making it look about half an inch tall. He then took another photo and sent it to Model Railroader magazine. He definitely caught everyone's attention. Later he fessed up to his sneaky underhandedness. I will never admit to anything! Greg touched upon having tiny parts go shooting across the shop...Believe me this has happened, and this was a concern when sawing off the little bit that holds the handrail. Gentle cutting with the slitting saw prevented this from happening. Also a major concern was parting off the handrail stanchion from the 3/16" round stock. So before doing this the chip pan of the lathe was swept out and vacuumed until it was perfectly cleaned. I learned this one the hard way as the parts I am parting off are often smaller than the chips in the pan. This is how we learn.
Happy Model Building.
Jack
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

JBodenmann wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 pm Also a major concern was parting off the handrail stanchion from the 3/16" round stock. So before doing this the chip pan of the lathe was swept out and vacuumed until it was perfectly cleaned. I learned this one the hard way as the parts I am parting off are often smaller than the chips in the pan. This is how we learn.
Yep! That applies when you're using thread wires, too, especially the small ones. Once they're dropped, they can be difficult to find. A clean chip pan aids the search tremendously (speaking from lots of negative experiences).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Harold is correct about a clean chip pan. Tiny parts have a way of vanishing at times, even on a clean shop floor. Where do they go???
Here is a start on the headlamp bracket master. Its upside down in the photo and still needs a bit of hack and whack and silver solder. More to come.
Jack
Attachments
Headlamp Mount.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a bit more on the headlamp mount. As this is just a master for making a mold, silver solder, crazy glue, and epoxy were used to assemble it. Then it was given a couple coats of self etching primer. Now it will be lightly sanded and the gaps will be filled with bondo, sanded and then a couple coats of primer filler and sanded some more.
Attachments
LampMt.1.jpg
LampMt.2.jpg
LampMt.3.jpg
LampMt.4.jpg
LampMt5.jpg