Converting a Allen models Chloe 0-4-2 to a 2-4-0

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steve Alley

Re: Converting a Allen models Chloe 0-4-2 to a 2-4-0

Post by Steve Alley »

The Chloe frame is wider and Lower in the front. This is going to have a clearance issue for the front pilot wheels. I recommend to build a new frame using the FN drawing for measurements. The front frame past the cyl, is mounted on top of the center section top frame at the front of cyl. This is to have the clearance needed.
We have all the piece for this in stock for the front truck, plus the front frame tie bars. The front truck frame parts are laser cut and water jet cut parts. Buy these for correct installation to get you started. Alone with the plans needed for the frame. These can be sold separately. $14.00 per drawing pages. Call me 775-782-3800 for these print drawings. I think three should do it. Do you have the Chloe prints. Need measurements for this too. OR just buy the FN drawing set.

Steve Alley
Allen Models of Nevada.
KidAmato

Re: Converting a Allen models Chloe 0-4-2 to a 2-4-0

Post by KidAmato »

As the previous members have stated, best bet would be to draw up a Fitchburg frame in a CAD software and subtract the 3rd axle set. There may be other changes needed to be made thereafter due to boiler design. However, nothing that can’t be easily remedied. The Chloe and Fitchburg are so similar in design, so kitbashing them should not be too difficult. I’d start from the front, and copy the FN all the way to just past the second axle, and start modifying the standard FN dimensions from there to suit your needs.

Also as a side note, if you are in need of a tender, Jeff at Locoparts sells wonderful tender kits which can be ordered with a frame kit as well. He makes one specifically for the FN. I know this because I just inquired about my soon to be kit I am acquiring for my FN build :D .

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this!

Best Wishes,
Nico
7-1/2” gauge 5” scale 2-4-4t
7-1/2” gauge Fitchburg Northern
4-3/4” gauge 1.5” scale 0-4-4t