Des Peres Valley #4 - Baldwin 0-6-0 using Allen Models parts.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pappawolff11

Post by Pappawolff11 »

Greetings everyone. I am finally embarking on a project that I have been wanting to do for a very long time. In the early 1910's my Great Grandfather was a locomotive fireman for the Scullin-Gallagher Iron & Steel Co. here in Saint Louis, MO. in 1905 the company established there own switching short line to service the foundry located on Manchester Rd along the River Des Peres. It was called the Des Peres Valley Railroad. To the best of my knowledge the picture I am attaching of the locomotive with him sitting on the Fireman side of the pilot in 1912-13 is the only photograph out there of this locomotive. Through Lots of research I was able to locate the spec sheet (attached jpeg, I can email a PDF to any one that needs it to help me out) for the locomotive but as of yet have not established any other information directly related to it. Any help locating erecting cards / diagrams or a builder photo would be greatly appreciated. Also the tender drawing from Baldwin #356 has evaded me thus far as well.

After locating the Baldwin spec sheet I was able to do some comparisons with various designs out there and found that the Allen Models 0-4-0 Yard engine shares many of the same dimensions when scaled to 1.5". My plan is to base my build off the castings of the 0-4-0 and redraw the frame adding the 3rd driver set then have that either water jet or laser cut. Hopefully this will all pan out. This will be my most ambitious project when it comes to modeling railroads but thankfully I have most of the equipment available to me in order to see this through.

I have been a long time lurker here and really appreciate the knowledge and feedback that is regularly shared. As long as these projects can take it is amazing that so many people take the time to document them and share it with the community. Also I figured if I don't start on it now I never will. Hopefully I will have it completed by my sons 16th birthday. He is 6 now... HAHAHA

Best regards.
Des Peres Valley Railway 1912 Watermark.jpg
DPVRR Scullin Eng 4 Specs 6-32D 559 1906 DRAWING 46.jpg
My Projects
viewtopic.php?t=108867

WF&P 535 - 4-6-4 Tender overhaul

Volunteer - Wabash Frisco & Pacific Railroad - 12" Gauge
http://www.wfprr.com/
Eagle Scout & Cubmaster
makinsmoke

Re: Des Peres Valley #4 - Baldwin 0-6-0 using Allen Models parts.

Post by makinsmoke »

Awesome kitbash!
Exactly what Gene would like.

I can’t see the driver diameter.
Is it 58” or 60”?

Have you thought of using the Allen Mogul
castings for a start? You can use different driver castings.

Looking forward to your project!
Take care,
Brian
Pappawolff11

Post by Pappawolff11 »

makinsmoke wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:37 pm Awesome kitbash!
Exactly what Gene would like.

I can’t see the driver diameter.
Is it 58” or 60”?

Have you thought of using the Allen Mogul
castings for a start? You can use different driver castings.

Looking forward to your project!
Take care,
Brian
Thank you for the support and suggestion.

In regards to the drivers - The drivers are actually 50" with a 44" center diameter using a 3" tire. The 0-4-0 uses a 6.375" wheel and that prototype 50" works out to 6.25".! I'd say that is good enough for government work.

After many comparisons between the two locomotives offered by Allen Models I have discovered the majority of the castings are identical right down to the part number. Therefore the Items I already have on hand are of use either way I go about it. The only reason I'm not using the water jet cut mogul frame is that the drivers do not have even spacing on the prototype. You can just make that out in the picture above. I am attaching a picture of another 6-32 D class Baldwin locomotive that was built for the B&O that illustrates this much better.
Baltimore__Ohio_RR_Road_No_1175.jpg
My Projects
viewtopic.php?t=108867

Eagle Scout & Cubmaster
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Great project! And I like your attitude to get it started now.
You've got great resources with this Steam Family here, and with Allen Models. They are The Best! Always have been.

My first locomotive build (Allen Ten Wheeler) took me 5 years while working full time and raising two sons.
I had the boiler professionally built for me. A wise move for several reasons, the least being that I sit behind it with my legs spread...
My second locomotive build (90-ton 2-8-2) took 15 years, and I'm still finishing some details. Life intervened continuously...

So yes: Get started! I look forward to your Build Reports here.
RussN
Pappawolff11

Post by Pappawolff11 »

A friend of mine actually has the drawings and first set of castings for the 0-4-0 that he bought a while back. He has decided to sell those to me and now I'm more anxious than ever to get this rolling. I'm delayed till thanksgiving weekend however since he said he'll be in town and that he will just bring them with him. So, even though nothing has physically happened yet the project has officially started. I also took some time in adobe illustrator and did the artwork for the Baldwin builders plate. I think it turned out OK with my limited experience with the program.
Des Peres Valley Railway  #4 Builder Plate 30041 Chaski.jpg
My Projects
viewtopic.php?t=108867

Eagle Scout & Cubmaster
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

An Allen 0-4-0 or even your 0-6-0 is a GREAT choice as a first live steam project in 1/8th scale! Castings are readily available and easily replaced if you mess one up, the costs for these castings are fairly inexpensive compared to a lot of others out there, a lot of the parts are made from bar stock or other materials you can source locally, and there are hundreds of these things that have been built over many decades so it is a very proven design.
Also, wherever you are you will be able to find someone who has built one and can assist you if you get stuck on something.
Good luck to you. FYI: I am also a Cubmaster and an Eagle Scout, getting my Eagle in 1991.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Great choice. I love your family connection to the particular loco. It’ll have great historical connection when your done and operating it!

I wonder if Kozo’s book might be of some help? Maybe you’ve already seen it. I’ve read it several times and use it as a procedural guide for fabricating various bits and pieces on engines Iam restoring.

Keep us posted with pics!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Pappawolff11

Post by Pappawolff11 »

Greetings Glenn, Which one of his books are you referring to?
My Projects
viewtopic.php?t=108867

Eagle Scout & Cubmaster
NP317

Post by NP317 »

ALL of Kozo's books contain invaluable fabrication information.
I have them all, and have studied and used them for my locomotive(s) construction.
Closest to your project might be his Pennsy A3 Switcher 0-4-0 construction book.
https://secure.villagepress.com/store/i ... l/item/844
RussN
318J

Post by 318J »

Glad I was able to pass my project on to somebody who will do more with it than use it to gather dust as I have. Having a special family connection to your project really helps with the drive to get it done- and makes it truly unique.
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
Pappawolff11

Post by Pappawolff11 »

Sam, thank you for helping me out with the first step of this project.
My Projects
viewtopic.php?t=108867

Eagle Scout & Cubmaster
Pappawolff11

Post by Pappawolff11 »

Well I got my Black Friday deal. Sam and I got together while he was in town and I got the drawings and frame castings from him. Hopefully I’ll get to start doing some work on the revised frame design this week.
My Projects
viewtopic.php?t=108867

Eagle Scout & Cubmaster