Allen models Fitchburg Northern build by first timer

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Berkman

Re: Allen models Fitchburg Northern build by first timer

Post by Berkman »

PMR's fittings / machined valves are top notch. As are their globe checks.

Locoparts also has quite the line of parts/fits not seen on their website.
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

I do have a steam plant from PMR with their boiler, valves, and fittings running on a Stuart 10v. I know everything I have from them is top notch, I just wasn't sure if their valves are big enough. That's one thing (of many) on this that I don't have a real good handle on. Are those the sizes most people run on this size of engine? I probably just need to spend some time hanging around (bothering) the steamers at my local club and I'm sure they would answer all my questions.

Martin
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Godshall's has a lot of supplies.
The archives here are a must for accessory ideas and some drawings.
For accessory drawings, many can be found here- http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... l:AllPages
I used the Small Marty Burner design on the IBLS site as a starting point for making a pile of propane burners for my modified fire box which is basically the same size as an FN.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

for plumbing sizes:

Injector - 5/16 for "standard" size injector- PMR make checks/ globe angle valves for the boiler shutoff. then Godshall/loco parts make 5/16 quick turn ball valves. I'd probably use 5/16 mtp for the water glass as well.

Most everything else off the manifold can be 1/4 mtp - blower, cylinder cocks etc. Cylinder cocks will likely have a 3/16 mtp connection depending on which you buy.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I used PM Research valves on the shay except for my injector starting valves, those are American Model Engineering ball valves. Ive been very happy with both! The globe valves leak a tiny bit but not enough for me to worry about, I lose more steam from the safeties fizzling.
IMG_0567.jpeg
All of the valves are 5/16in except for the blower (1/4in), brake valve shut off, and sight glass blowdown (both 3/16in).
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

I guess I should ask more stupid questions as they always seem to get me a ton of knowledge on here. Thanks guys.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

mcjustis wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:45 am I guess I should ask more stupid questions as they always seem to get me a ton of knowledge on here. Thanks guys.
No such thing as stupid questions!
We all start from somewhere.
Ask away.
RussN
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

I got in the shop for a little bit over the holiday weekend. I got one side of the pedestal cut so I can set it down flat on the table while cutting the seat for the boiler, or actually the smoke box. I set it up on an angle plate and surface ground one side. This is just indicating in the flat milled part in on an angle plate to put in to a surface grinder.
setup pedestal.jpg

I made a template to check the diameter of the boring head when I cut the pedestal diameter. Just a piece of 1/32 thin aluminum that was in the scrap hopper.
pedestal radius.jpg

I waterjet out the main rods. I will need to do a little polishing on them as the tool marks are pretty visible. In the picture one is done the other one is not. I also need to make the bushings for them.
main rods.jpg

I turned the rods and pistons the other day and was able to get them silver soldered this weekend. I trimmed up the piston heads today and cut in the ring grooves. They fit perfectly..
pistons.jpg

Having fun,
Martin
rmac

Post by rmac »

For an "admitted procrastinator", you sure are getting a lot done. Looks great so far.

-- Russell Mac
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

I try to get something done everyday. No matter how small. Got the bottom half of the snifter valves done this morning. Maybe get the top half done after lunch today. Pretty boring, but one piece closer.
snifters.jpg
Martin
mcjustis

Post by mcjustis »

I got the top if the snifter valves done along with the rod glands. Question, do you guys loctite the snifter valve toether once you know the ball is sealing, or do you just tighten it up?
rodgland.jpg

I was able to finish the other brake piston and rod today as well. I found some quad rings laying around that fit perfectly too. I made a start on the arms that connect the brake cylinders to the brake rods, but I'll wait to show those until they're done. It would be easier to explain how they were made then.
brakecyl2.jpg
brakecyl2parts.jpg
Still plugging away,
Martin
NP317

Post by NP317 »

No need to Loctite the snifter valve parts together.
Check out the new issue of "Live Steam and Outdoor Model Railroading".
It has an article on constructing scale snifter valves.

Or check out this discussion of making externally scale snifter valves:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... on#p431075

RussN