my project

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Hudson Honey

Re: my project

Post by Hudson Honey »

final photo of this series......

the spud cleaned up....and now just needs to be turned to size.

Pamela
Attachments
DSC_0682.JPG
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

Very nice work! I think it's great you should the fixturing you do. Some very complicated parts can be done so simply with the right fixture.

Also, I think it's great to see the Sherline being used for these parts. I used to sell these machines years ago and they are real workhorses if you think about how to use them within their capacity. A true craftsman can you any tools they are given, from a file to a CNC, to make great parts. Keep up the good work!
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

well thankyou......

merely showing some of my at times backward and somewhat unorthodox methods......

they work well for me...and might work for someone else when they get stuck with how to go about doin something. I have been machining for quite a while, still get stuck everyso often...and consult a friend or two on how they would go about it.

one thing holds true........there are many ways to machine something right......but a whole lot more to do it wrong.

Pamela
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

snuck in a lil "G" work to bore the cylinder and do the steam passages.

lapped the rings.......and turned the ring spud to size(need to hack off a bit at work).

hope to split the rings and get them turned to size.

Pamela
Attachments
DSC_0683.JPG
DSC_0684.JPG
DSC_0685.JPG
DSC_0686.JPG
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

Ok...brought the ring spud to work this morning and whacked off excess length...and ran a 1/4"-20 tap thru it.....and made a clamp washer. Will trim spud to size this evening...splt the rings with a dremel and finish the rings tonight and then move on to the piston rod and cross head

Pamela
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Pamela, I haven't seen any posts from you in several days. I hope that all is well and that nothing is wrong. I really do enjoy seeiing your fixtures and ways of doing things on a small lathe.

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

evening all......have had to do other things for a while...seriously putting a crimp in my progress. hope to jump back in in the morning...am so far behind now.....THANKYOU IRS.

Pamela
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

Hey Pam,
we all are behind here and there on things, we're behind on watching your progress too....
so at least you aren't behind those clowns anymore.
Have fun in the shop in morning,

Paul
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

oh but I am...for a few more months most likely....flaming thieves
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

Yes Ma'am indeed, pirates they are.
Look in the dictionary under scum of the earth,
you'll see them just below it.
In a couple of months then it will have come to pass, hold that thought and keep on going in the meantime.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Glad you are back. I've missed your postings.

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

did a lil bit this morning......split the rings and made sure they will fit on the jig spud. have to bore the compression sleeve all the way thru so it can be pulled off once the rings are clamped down.

also started laying out the jig plate to do the main cradle. going to scribe it all out and make blocks. so when a mill opens. it will take hours instead of days. I am so close to having a roller. going to Pheonix in Oct. praying I can bring a partial rolling chassis. may not have the driver packs but the lead and trailing trucks should be mounted and rolling
Attachments
DSC_0756.JPG
DSC_0757.JPG