my project

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Hudson Honey

Re: my project

Post by Hudson Honey »

evening all,

the rail board for my truck is progressing.....the 2x4 cross pieces are painted and carriage bolted to the already existing board...the T slot rail are mounted.

still need a sheet of plywood for the tender rail board. also need to remove the safety chain loops in the truck bed for the goose neck hitch....they interfer with one of the 2x4s preventing the whole assembly from laying flat in the bed.

the toe clamps are done...studs are welded in the T nuts.both will eventually be black oxided.

the whole twin rail board assembly will top 200 pounds when completed.....YEESH.

received my lil bag of bolts from AMES. replacing the socket cap screws with hex bolts.

still need door dogs and hinges.....head light bracket......
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

afternoon toonsters,

finally have the tender board ready to mate with te loco board. this has to be done after hours at work due to just not having enough room to assemble this thing....plus once assembled I will not be able to move it by myself. will show a few photos of how I will do this solo.

just one photo of the tender board.

looking forward to having this done....it had to be done and done heavy......but want to get back to the interesting stuff.

Pamela
Attachments
DSC_0712.JPG
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Hey Pam,
Did you go to NZ to watch trains?

Missing my Santa fe 3460 Class build updates!

Brian
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

Rods are at the platers.......installed cross heads and made sure all the linkages line up . Need to finish a lil machine work on rod bushings. Need to trim a bunch of bolts and make a zillion washers. After the transport board was done I took a break to regroup. Plus it has been so stinkin humid here...the shpp wwas miserable

Pamela
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

rods are back........all the bushings are in except the main rod large end.....need to do some internal grooving in the bushings. assembled the side rods and fit them on.......they fit perfectly. there is one issue that arose which I need to inquire about tomorrow.

Pamela
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

snapped a few photos tis morning.....was wipe out last night by the time I got done pressing in all the bushings....doing some barter work to make ends meet ....so there are three sets of rods to do. will finish everything up after work ..pack them all up and will be on their merry way to their new homes.

Pamela
Attachments
DSC_0715.JPG
DSC_0714.JPG
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Hudson Honey wrote:snapped a few photos tis morning.....was wipe out last night by the time I got done pressing in all the bushings....doing some barter work to make ends meet ....so there are three sets of rods to do. will finish everything up after work ..pack them all up and will be on their merry way to their new homes.

Pamela
Awesome!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Really beautiful work, Pam! Your paint work is amazing also. Such clean lines on the wheels. I've always loved the "white walls" on locos.

Todd
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

afternoon toonsters,

been a lil slow going lately due to making sure everything fits nicely with no binding or drag. the side rods are on...the main rods are on but hanging due to a wee bit snug fit into the cross heads...a lil shaving needs to be done at work tomorrow as well as whacking off the unused ear on each cross head. need to make a couple of stainless shoulder bolts for the combination lever to the drag link off the cross head.

waiting for the rings to come so I can finalize and button up the cylinders permanantly.

should be able to start mounting the cross head guides tomorrow when I get home.

couple of teaser photos

Pamela
Attachments
DSC_0716.JPG
DSC_0717.JPG
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Pamela,

Looks very good, the only suggestion I would make, I always wait to install the piston rings till after the valve gear is timed, It makes it much easier to rotate the driver for timing.

David
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Such beautiful work!

If I come down there and do your cooking, cleaning, and housekeeping, will you teach me to machine like that? :mrgreen:
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Wow, Pam. The machining work on those rods and valve gear is absolutely stunning.

Todd