Kozo A3 in 1.5" scale - new project

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

marshall5

Re: Kozo A3 in 1.5" scale - new project

Post by marshall5 »

If there's too much 'draw' on the electric blower hold it (or get someone else) to hold it at an angle to the stack. Once the coal has 'caught' put it fully in. Better still make up a stack extension with a blower jet which you can couple to an airline. If you fit a ball valve or needle valve in the line you can get very fine control. There's a spare on in my shop at the moment - unfortunately it's over 4000 miles from yours! Hope everything goes well next steaming.
Ray.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Start off with kindling... Then a layer of wood for burning... Throw a few pieces of coal in to catch while everything is ablaze. Then feed partial shovelfuls in as you go. I like throwing the coal in the front because the flames are being pulled towards the front, so that should ensure they light up. Then as you throw more coal in, do it strategically to ensure everything lights up. Could always rake the coal back a bit to put fresh coal up front, but then you introduce a cold spot. However, if you have a thick enough bed in the front, you could thin it out and spread it out, add a layer of coal to that...

Easier to do on the fireboxes that are no less than 12" wide, 18" deep, but it does work.... Patience. Can you fire up in your driveway? If so, maybe a good idea to do so. That way you can shut it down, breathe, and try again if needed. If no joy for that day, put it away, and try again another day.

Be careful about the wood you use too. Walnut is real nice. We have an abundance of it because one of our members works at a wood shop so we get a lot of scraps. We usually burn wood even after the engines pop, until about 45min before the first train so that we can conserve coal.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Easier to do on the fireboxes that are no less than 12" wide, 18" deep, but it does work.... .
All of Mike's advice is spot on. But I do take a little issue with the statement above. I have no trouble at all firing with coal and with a firebox 3" x 3"! :)
Keith
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

LVRR2095 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:Easier to do on the fireboxes that are no less than 12" wide, 18" deep, but it does work.... .
All of Mike's advice is spot on. But I do take a little issue with the statement above. I have no trouble at all firing with coal and with a firebox 3" x 3"! :)
Keith
Touché good sir.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

My fire-up routine, which I have found extremely successful on any 1 1/2" scale locomotive I've fired up, from a small Chloe with a 6x6 grate all the way up to large grate locomotives is this:

I cut up a bunch of scrap wood into 3/4" chunks, or something close to that size. The size isn't too critical. Whatever type of wood you have laying around is fine. Usually I use pine, left over from whatever project was the last thing in the shop, or cherry, ash, oak, whatever I've got that I can cut up easily. I then take those 3/4" wood chunks and soak them in Kerosene or diesel fuel. Either one is fine. I soak them overnight if possible. That is what I start my fire on.

Put down a good layer of the soaked wood chunks so that the grate is totally covered with no visible holes anywhere. It doesn't have to be to normal fire depth, probably just a little bit more than half that, as long as the whole grate is covered. Then you light that and turn on your blower. After a couple of minutes, your wood should be glowing red hot. Add a small amount of coal, spread evenly over the wood. After another minute or so, add some more. Don't let any holes develop in your fire. Keep on doing this, and after about 10 or 12 minutes or so, you will have most of the wood gone and good bed of burning coal going.

Works for me every time. One time my air compressor pooped out right about the time my Chloe locomotive hit 8 or 9 PSI on the clock. I quickly switched off the air and turned on the steam blower. It was slow, but the pressure kept on climbing and before long was up to about 40, where I would normally take it off the air and switch to the steam.

You don't have to do it my way, this is just the way I've done it for decades, and have always had success with. Take it for what it's worth.
GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Great job!
I've enjoyed reading thru your blog to see your build. It was very informative. I'll be starting my own build this fall.
Gary
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ive always used scaps of klin dried lumber- 2x4 or any 1 by trim material, split into kindling- 1' square rough sticks shorter than the firebox length. Klin dried lumber dries out really well during the curing process and fires nicely - regardless of the type of wood- because the wood has a low pitch and water saturation level. Framing material and trim is usually hemlock or fir, which is a good burning wood in any event. I like the description above about starting a small bit of coal and adding to it over a 20 or 30 minute time period. never found it necessary to add "fire starter", if you start out with a few small pages of rolled newspaper and some 'tinder' to get the kindling started. shavings of wood, or the old boy scout dryer lint stuff.... same with charcoal - cant see the need for it as it burns slowly, whereas wood produces a good burst of heat sufficient to ignite coal gasess coming off the coal in fairly short order. Plus, personally, I dont like the fumes from starting fluid. wood smoke is much more pleasant.

Mid way through the firing process the engine will start to come alive and after maybe 50 PSI you can add in the blower in the smoke box for draft and shut off the external air. lots of fun to experience the engine coming to life! sit back and enjoy!! its half the fun of the whole thing,i think.

good luck
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....