Kozo A3 in 1.5" scale - new project

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

kvom

Re: Kozo A3 in 1.5" scale - new project

Post by kvom »

The insulation is supposed to be good to 2500F (ceramic cloth). Twine is a cotton thread, so even if it disintegrates it's only needed until the boliler casing is clamped down.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Ahhh, when you said twine I thought polypropylene baler twine... That stuff stinks when burnt and melts readily. Cotton is much better.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

We used to have natural hemp strand stuff for bailers, now it is recycled plastic of various colors. Dunno what type of plastic, but they tell me co-mingled milk jugs and pop bottles, tough when pulled into strands.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Dave,
That natural help stuff is much too valuable a commodity nowadays to be wasted on bailer twine.....
:lol:

Funny story. My father in Law, now passed away, used to refer to International Harvester trucks as binders.

Finally asked him one day.

He said,"They made grain binders before they made trucks...."
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Hemp.

Fat fingers...
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ha! So valuable nobody grows it for rope anymore! AFAK all the rope is from happy farmers in China. Once the Indiana and Illionois flatlands were green with rope making material, and a vital comodity for the war efforts of two wars. Now nearly extinct. So I wonder why it was not a cultural problem then, as it is now? Demon Rum was much higher on the list, just some twisted history.

Like Sorghum, it would flourish on the poorist wetland a farmer had. Sorghum is (was) the poor farmers sweetener, and added to horse and cattle feed, as corn was too expensive for livestock.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Well you can't make good barbecue sauce without molasses or sorghum!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I agree that Sweet BBQ sauces are more than just brown sugar. Sweet sauces for Pork of any nature is the rule here, the south and SW are more into dry rubs and a sauce with a bite.

Egad! You make me hungry for spring already! Pork feasts, roasted shicken and runnin trains. I got to get busy!
kvom

Post by kvom »

After some downtime for the holidays, a bad cold, and a business trip, I managed to get a good fitting boiler cover. A friend cut it out for me on his plasma table from 22ga sheet steel.

Took it off afterwards for paint.
kvom

Post by kvom »

After fighting a cold for a month, and general winter ennui, I decided to get back into the shop a little and start re-assembling the engine now that the boiler jacket in installed (and painted). First problem encountered was that the throttle quadrant broke apart. if you followed this previously, I originally made it in two separate pieces, but that was too lose. Then soldered them together, but it seems that my solder job was poor. So I decided to make it from a single piece of brass.

First op was CNC machining the gear teeth profile. Final pass was 3/64 2-flute endmill, my smallest:

Then a bunch of manual ops on the Bridgeport to get to the final shape (sorry for the fuzzy photo):

Then installed:

kvom

Post by kvom »

After painting the boiler jacket and getting it back on with its bands, I started to reassemble everything I removed to install the jacket. Plus I could install the steam dome, sand dome, cab front/sides, and the handrails. My steam feed tube to the right side injector is fubar, so I'm waiting for a couple of new unions to remake it. I also added a second notch on the reverser quadrant to see if notching up will help reduce steam consumption.

From the following photo you can see that the headlamp still needs work and that I messed up aligning the stanchions on the boiler with those on the smokebox. Plus my painting is crap. I did remake the number plate engraving the numbers much deeper (.06). The first try was only .006 deep and the background got scratched up right away.

I need to take it out to the track soon for some solo practice keeping the water and fire both going for more than one loop around the yard.

One problem is that the injectors are too far inside the edge of the running boards so that I can't see the drain pipe. I am making a jury-rig system with an elbow and a piece of brass pipe to stick out beyond the running boards. An alternative would be to cut a window in the part of the boards that are inside the cab.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Kirk,

Looking good. Mark the front of the overflow pipe so you know which way is the front. Unscrew it from the injector and make a small bushing to connect a length of 5/16" copper pipe. Solder together. Now go run the engine!!!

Ken-
Attachments
A3injector.JPG