Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

VK2DJ

Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Post by VK2DJ »

G'Day i am new to this forum i live in wollongong 80k south of Sydney NSW Australia & have been interested in live steam for about 20 years i have already built a freelance 2-6-0 loco
about 15 years ago but due to work commitments never proceeded any further i am semi retired & currently building a Hudson Victorian R-Class which were the last steam locos brought into victoria about 1954 there life was short lived as the first deisl loco were brought into service not long after, there is one of the class preserved at william town in Victoria
i will try & post some pictures of my progress
IMG_2329.JPG
Yours in steam
Gary
CRADLE.jpg
Frames were laser cut
Frames were laser cut
Frame strechers machined to size
Frame strechers machined to size
SUPPORT.jpg
Progress to date on frame
Progress to date on frame
Hi Pamela i have been following your progress very impressed mine is in 5" gauge
as this is the most popular gauge here in Australia there are clubs that run 7 1/4 " but our local club is 5" only http://www.ils.org.au/
Attachments
cleaning up frames
cleaning up frames
Co'ordinate drilling of the frames
Co'ordinate drilling of the frames
Last edited by VK2DJ on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hudson Honey

Re: Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Post by Hudson Honey »

looks familiar.......

wasn't to long ago mine looked like that

Pamela :wink:
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Hudson Honey wrote:looks familiar.......

wasn't to long ago mine looked like that

Pamela :wink:
Hi Pamela i have been following your progress very impressed my loco is in 5 " gauge as this
is the most popular gauge hear in Australia there are a lot of clubs that have 7 1/4 " gauge
but our local club is 5" only http://www.ils.org.au/
Gary
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'Day All not much progress of late due to family commitments been working on the axle boxes just completed, next job will be fixing the horn cheeks to the frame then reassemble the frames to do final milling to size, can any one recommend the best type of paint to to use, on my last loco i used automotive acrylic black satin but it chips very easley as i like to paint the parts as completed
IMG_0255_resize.JPG
IMG_0257_resize.JPG
IMG_0259_resize.JPG
IMG_0260_resize.JPG
IMG_0262_resize.JPG
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

use a real good acid based metal prep to open the metal up for the paint and try and find a good "etching" primer. then your color should hold well.

Pamela
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Its been a while since my last post been making steady progress on the hudson just finished the front buffers , coupler pocket & buffer beam mounting brackets i have just received the front bogie castings & the boiler formers & patterns i will now start the front bogie
Attachments
Fabricated coupler pocket & coupler
Fabricated coupler pocket & coupler
Completed buffer  beam assembly
Completed buffer beam assembly
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Garry,

Great to see another product of the Springburn works returning to the rails. There is a DVD out there called Diamonds were forever charting the rise and fall of North British. A large portion of which is taken up with pacing and aerial shots of the steam festival featuring R707 as part of the Australian bi centennial.

I am guessing this must be predominantly a scratch build as I don’t ever remember seeing any castings or drawings for the R class in AME.

Fantastic piece of work and keep the snaps coming.

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'Day Jim thanks for your interest there are some castings available i have the main drivers machining them is almost complete the main holdup at the moment is the cylinders they are at the foundry waiting for them to be cast they are having problems with the internal cores hope the won't be to much longer .i still have the cow catcher to fit to the front buffer beam
Attachments
Main drivers
Main drivers
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Just a couple of pix of the completed axels the method i used to set the key ways at 90 deg.
was to set them up in the mill & mill a flat on the shaft & then mill the first key way then rotate the shaft & place a piece of key steel in the milled flat & butt it up to the vice jaws & then mill
the remaining key way this set worked ok the flats were removed when finish turning the axels as i could not mount them in the rotary table as the collet chuck would have hit the rotary tables chuck
Attachments
SHAFT.jpg
BOX.jpg
IMGP2080.JPG
IMGP1769.JPG
comaxles.jpg
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Further progress on the front buffer beam almost complete just number plates to make & chain for the uncoupler to complete assembly at present forming the boiler plates
Attachments
001_2.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0431_resize.JPG
IMG_0432_resize.JPG
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Looks great Gary, were the inter car couplers sprung? I am not clear how the buffers helped if they were.

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
Trainfreak

Post by Trainfreak »

Jim,

If you have a close look on the prototype photos, you will see the coupler on the loco is actually on a pivot and can move out of the way for a hook and loop set up. This is what the buffers were for although the only thing I can think of that has used hook and loop on the mainline in Victoria in the last 20 years would be the veteran cars up in Seymour. And even they haven't seen use for many many years. Otherwise I believe everything else is auto coupled.

Also, just a slight nit pick, but the R class were actually the second last steam loco to be introduced on the VR. The last being the J class.

Can't wait to see the final product!

Regards,

Owen.