Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

VO4454

Re: Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Post by VO4454 »

Hello Gary.

The boiler is coming along nice. What is the barrel O.D. and what is the length of the combustion Chamber? How about a inside shot of the firebox and combustion chamber throat next time you post? Thanks.

Vic
For Duty and Humanity
R704

Post by R704 »

Hi Gary,
Allow me to join the chorus singing your praises, She's looking absolutely stunning, your attention to detail is phenomenal! and dare I say inspirational!

I'm currently working on a 5" H, just made up the axle boxes, was a fun task as they started life as 3" round cast iron.
Apart from that I haven't really done much as all i have is a set of the General Appendix.
So far all I have is a tender body. main frames, boiler, rod blanks, machined wheel sets and a few stray castings.

You made mention that you have the drawings available? As the H and R shared quite alot of design features and even common parts in some cases. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a copy?

I'm also interested in the cylinders you mentioned, Were these being done by newport workshops?
I have a pattern for them as a solid casting, to be split and bored etc., Not a huge fan of that method, Should you be interested in cost savings I'd be keen to order a set of cylinders with you.

Regards,
Nick -R704 (my first love was 704, love the R's but wanted a challenge ;) )
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Thanks for the comment Harold , Vic I only have one pic. of the combustion chamber it was not a good shot that's why I did not post
it originally but I have found it & will post it now,
The Barrel is 6" Dia. the combustion chamber is 3 1/2" deep
Vic the H class is a more involved build than the R I don't think that there are any major components in common with the R similar maybe ,There is a chap at the Wandong club that has built a 5" H class pic below I will find out his name & pass it on to you as he would have the drawings
Gary
Attachments
boiler 9.jpg
Heavy Harry
Heavy Harry
R704

Post by R704 »

Hi Gary,
I would love to see that H one day, every pic just makes me want to finish mine sooner.

You may be surprised, as they were both VR designed, quite alot of the less critical parts are the same if not the differences were negligible.
From the data cards, available books and the few drawings I do have of the R / H I'd be surprised if they weren't designed by the same team.

The cylinders both 21.5" X 28 ", I believe the spring hangers on the frames, some boiler dimensions, and even the training truck is identical with the exception of the H's being a few inches more between wheel centers. In a way the R is just a re proportioned H with bigger wheels and smaller tender.

Regards,
Nick
Its all these fiddly details thats stopping me lately. Unlike my mate's 12'' railway, nothings built to a plan and there's no such thing as small parts. ( 1/2 size narrow gauge, you may have seen "Merlin" in the last AME,)
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Nick you can contact me via my email vk2dj@icloud.com
Gary
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Well a build mile stone today the boiler is finished & pressure tested to 200psi with no leaks not with out dramas I had a leak inside the combustion chamber so another reheat & pored heaps of silver into the area around the super heater tubes not an easy task with all the heat quite difficult to do will be taking it to our club this weekend to have our boiler inspector look at it & hopefully get a number
Attachments
in the process of pressure testing
in the process of pressure testing
b2.jpg
b7.jpg
The gauge tells the story holding at 200psi
The gauge tells the story holding at 200psi
GregE

Post by GregE »

Congratulations!
Greg Easter
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day all finally back in the workshop after an extended brake some progress on the pony truck ,I simplified the side movement control mechanism to a simple spring control, the method was shown to me by Mell Skinner from Melbourne
Attachments
Pony truck pivot assy.
Pony truck pivot assy.
t3.jpg
t1.jpg
Vr160

Post by Vr160 »

Great to see some more progress on the R Gary! Keep it up. Luke
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G,day All progress has been slow since Xmas had lost motivation but since a visit to the Newcastle clubs birthday run last weekend my motivation has returned in the past week I have made all the locos springing & finished off the pony truck
Gary
Attachments
Milling the slot in the top spring leaves
Milling the slot in the top spring leaves
springs completed part the way through making the cleats
springs completed part the way through making the cleats
Components completed ready for painting
Components completed ready for painting
Assembled
Assembled
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Its been a while since I have posted a progress report as I have been involved with a club project also been away on extended holiday back in the work shop the last couple of weeks made the return cranks & fitted them
Attachments
Machining the profile
Machining the profile
Surface ground to the correct thickness
Surface ground to the correct thickness
Marking out the return cranks
Marking out the return cranks
Completed cranks & pins ready to press into wheels
Completed cranks & pins ready to press into wheels
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Those are really nice. How did you cut the square holes?