Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

VK2DJ

Re: Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Post by VK2DJ »

Further progress crank pins & wheels fitted
Attachments
C6.jpg
C13.jpg
C12.jpg
C8.jpg
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

A couple more pic
Attachments
C7.jpg
C9.jpg
C10.jpg
C11.jpg
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day Dick the square return crank holes took a bit of thought as there has been a lot of different ways of doing them described on different forums from dummy squares and the like I chose to try & do them properly as you can see in the photo of the completed cranks there is a third one which was a reject .
First I marked out the square using the digital read out on the mill then drilled the centre out to a couple of drill sizes smaller then carefully filed out the square to just under size I then milled up a square on the end of a piece of silver steel then I concaved the end slightly with a 3/4" ball mill to form a sort of broach I then pressed it through the already filed holes keeping it as square as possible I did not harden the silver steel square section as it was only a one off job I did not think to take any photos the first time I tried it did not turn out correctly one of the reasons I had to remake one, the second time round it is all ways easer still a long way to go
One other thing is does any body no what's happened to Hudson Honey I was following Her Build with great interest
but haven't see any posts for quite some time?
Gary
TheMadNata

Post by TheMadNata »

What scale has this been built to?. Thanks in advanced.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Very nice work! Could we see some details on that neat building stand?
KenG

Post by KenG »

The builder said it is 5" gauge. The prototype was Australian broad gauge 5'-3" so it is 1" scale or close to.