Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

VK2DJ

Re: Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Post by VK2DJ »

A couple more pix of progress
Attachments
Axle keeps.jpg
Slitting keeps.jpg
Axle Keeps Milled.jpg
hudson

Post by hudson »

Hi Gary,

Really well done. Congratulations.

I work on the promised translation. You will get it soon.

Best regards,
Hudson
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Your work is first class all the way. I love the fabricated trailing truck. Awesome!

Harold, I think this belongs in the build logs....

Ken-
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day Ken when I started this thread I did not know about the build log maybe somebody could tell me how to transfer it over
Regards Gary
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

kenrinc wrote:Your work is first class all the way. I love the fabricated trailing truck. Awesome!

Harold, I think this belongs in the build logs....

Ken-
Done!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Hi All a little more progress on the pony truck, just need to find some suitable material to make the leaf springs to complete the suspension then the wheels & axles to complete the assemby
Attachments
PT 1.jpg
PT2.jpg
PT3.jpg
Vr160

Post by Vr160 »

Just pure awesome work, Looking forward to the wheels and axels to complete the pony. Vey nice
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day All some progress on the boiler for the Hudson while waiting for materials for the pony truck made up a set of clamping rings
to hold the barrel while drilling & boring, temporary assembled & trial fitted the stays to check for clearances all ok still a little shaping on the inner fire box back plate then ready for soldering
Gary
Attachments
Boring  dome.jpg
drilling side stays.jpg
trial fitting.jpg
Vr160

Post by Vr160 »

Do these boilers run better with a brick arc and syphon tubes, or it does'nt really make a difference? What is the operating pressure?
R707

Post by R707 »

Vr160 wrote:Do these boilers run better with a brick arc and syphon tubes, or it does'nt really make a difference? What is the operating pressure?
I think the design pressure for this R class boiler design is 620kPa (90psi) - or perhaps Gary has altered his design to suit the max allowable 720 kPa (100psi).
For loco's in 5'gauge, a 'Brick Arch' (really just a 5 - 6mm steel plate) does generally improve combustion in the firebox (extends flame length) - but syphon tubes no. The reason generally given for this is it makes the water too turbulent over the crown of the firebox; thus risking the ejection of water when the safety valves lift or carry over into the pipes of the steam manifold.
A nice long combustion chamber will ensure firebox gasses can burn completely, and with a large grate area sitting directly behind it - Gary's boiler should steam like a witch!
[ I should prob add I'm a one-eyed R class fan and have my own 5' model that currently only exists as a set of driving wheels ... :wink: ]
Vr160

Post by Vr160 »

Thanks for the info R707. I too like the R class, well better add the J too I can't split them. The syphon tubes explanation make good sense. I was curious about the arch, I know on one of the NAs at Puffing billy they had a problem with a poor steaming boiler and they made a small adjustment to the brick arch and now you can't shut her up. Steams very well. Whats the reason behind the max 100psi in Australia but the US run I think at 120psi? Do you have any pics of your R?
R707

Post by R707 »

The 100psi max working boiler pressure is entirely dictated by the AMBSC (Aust. Miniature Boiler Safety Code) - which is a set of design rules for designing a copper boiler and specificies an inspection and testing procedures by approved boiler inspectors. Its all about insurance - so a boiler built and certified to the code is covered. You can read more here; http://www.aals.asn.au/AMBSC/AMBSC.htm

As for progress on the R - its barely emerged from the drawing board...! https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1030 ... 0114574849

I do however run a forum called '3D Printing for Model Engineers' which (apologies for the FB link) which assists modellers with utilising 3D printing technology & invest cast parts for their build projects... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1415059758757262/