Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Vr160

Re: Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Post by Vr160 »

Nice work with the CAD drawing. Is that soildworks? I'm in the process of drawing up R for a High detail N scale production run. 3d printing the Master than casting it most likely. I'm using Cubifly. Its an ok program but does have it limits, but for $250 it a great starting package. I have plans to build a 7 1/4 R but I think I might Start with the J first. I have plenty of years on my side just about to turn 31. I've been reading a lot of dissuasion to do with the for and against for the 3d printed patterns vs wood made patterns. Its very interesting.
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'Day All finished preparing the boiler for final soldering all trial assembled to make shore every thing fits now just waiting for a second pair of hands to start soldering
Attachments
Boiler parts.jpg
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

That is one nice looking boiler!

Donald
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

While waiting for help with the boiler a little further work on the pony truck the Hudson is finally a rolling chassis
Attachments
PT wheels.jpg
PTwheels temp.jpg
frame on wheels.jpg
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Nice work all around. That boiler looks great. What torch equipment will be using to solder? It'll be fun trying to keep the heat in all that copper. I need to invest in a good torch setup soon.

Todd
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day Tod i have large propane burner & oxy I use both at once that's why I need another pair of hands it will take quite a while to pre heat it once it get close to the correct temp I then back of the propane & use the oxy to concentrate the heat to the required area
Gary
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Been a rainy day today spent the whole day in the work shop ive been loaned a custom made plate bender which I made former to bend the tender sides did some test bends which turned out ok & bent up the sides & temp assembled to check turned out better than expected both sides the same
Attachments
BENDER.jpg
former large radius.jpg
tank bender trial bend.jpg
TEST BEND.jpg
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Tank temp assy
Attachments
tank temp assy.jpg
Vr160

Post by Vr160 »

Hi Gary Hope you have been making great progress with your R. Just a quick question for you. In all your research you did, does the trailing truck use spoke wheels or solid wheels? I've seen both in photos and was wondering if you knew which one was more common.
thanks Luke
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Hi Luke the R as far as I know they never used solid wheels at all they were all 10 spoke
Gary
Attachments
IMGP1309.JPG
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day all progress to date on tender after some time out, tank screwed together with 8BA c/s screws will be soldered over on final assembly had to machine up corner moulding to get the required radius along the bottom edge & around the rear corner a method showed to me by Warren Williams
Attachments
corner moulding
corner moulding
view of corner moulding temp screwed in place
view of corner moulding temp screwed in place
TT12.jpg
TT6.jpg
Last edited by VK2DJ on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

just a couple more pix
Attachments
TT5.jpg
TT1.jpg
TT11.jpg
TT2.jpg