Another 2900 project...

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Rob Gardner

Re: Another 2900 project...

Post by Rob Gardner »

Ward, what is the thickness of each plate? 1/8"?

Rob
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

The side plates are 10 gauge (.131) pickled and oiled steel.

After machining the side plates, they were then bent in a press and vice using various shaped dies. Ed did the forming work by eyeball, square, paper templates, and sharpie.
Attachments
ttframe5.jpg
ttframe7.jpg
ttframe6.jpg
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

That is impressive keep us up to date with the construction. I would like to see how the truck turns out.

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Made the pedestals yesterday. A few more sessions and we can start welding pieces together.
Attachments
ttpedestal.jpg
ttframe8.jpg
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Thought I would add a few pics of another trailing truck that is much nearer to completion than mine. This is the trailing truck Ed built for his Z-8 Challenger using the same method and techniques that we are employing on my trailing truck. It is a really nice piece of work and a testament to Ed's skill as a locomotive builder and fabricator. I hope mine turns out as well.
Attachments
Z83.jpg
Z82.jpg
Z8-1.JPG
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Been working on making the "eyebrows" - the inserts that are at the top of the journal box opening. The first picture shows one being carved out of a block of steel. Had to massage the openings in the frame a bit with a file but the eyebrow fit great. Drilled and tapped the pedestals and made the pedestal binders. Busted 1 drill bit during the process so things (naturally) took a lot longer than expected.
Attachments
eyebrows.jpg
frame with eyebrow.jpg
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Ward, are these "eyebrows" applied to only the visible side of the side frame?

Rob
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Rob - We made 8 eyebrows so "yes" they are installed on the inside of the frame as well. I thought that maybe we didnt need them on the inside where they were not seen but Ed said they needed to be there.

Finished machining the frame openings so the pedestals would fit right. Just need to trim a bit off the bottoms of the "eyebrows" and everything will fit together as it should. Started working on a brake hangar bracket that mounts to the face of the frame. We are getting close to being able to start welding pieces together. Forgot my camera so no pics this time.
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Still making the various pieces that will be welded into the side plates. Here is where we are currently at.
Attachments
ttframe9.jpg
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Walt, I'm just guessing that the eyebrows help stiffen the side frames of the trailing truck. So hey, we're ready for your next update!

Rob
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

We started making the gingerbread for the frames and began with the oval cutouts as they are the hardest to make. Ed's method is to machine the rounded edge profile onto a separate piece of steel that can then be inserted into the hole and welded into the frame. Per my usual practice I had to make 5 pieces to get 4 good ones. :shock: Also welded in a boss for the spring rigging.

@Rob Gardner - I suppose the eyebrows will stiffen the frame but their primary purpose is for looks. I had to spend a while hand filing them to get them to blend into the pedestals. Once the pedestals and the top and bottom closure plates are welded into the side plates the frame will be very rigid. It is already pretty stiff just clamped together.
Attachments
Roughed out the pieces with a square end mill
Roughed out the pieces with a square end mill
Didnt have a roundover bit so just used a ball end mill and made about 10 laps around the piece for the final cuts
Didnt have a roundover bit so just used a ball end mill and made about 10 laps around the piece for the final cuts
Final installed product
Final installed product
View from the backside
View from the backside
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

I was at Ed's on Sunday, as he helped with a project I am working on. Got a chance to look over your work, and see the Challenger's trailing truck first hand. Absolutely beautiful! The bolt-together frame for your locomotive is impressive. Keep up the good work!

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA
Building a Fitchburg Northern (build log): www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=107249

My YouTube Videos: www.youtube.com/user/donhost4449/videos