Another 2900 project...

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

Harold_V

Re: Another 2900 project...

Post by Harold_V » Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 am

If you've read on anodizing and dying, you understand that the anodizing process creates a huge number of miniscule holes (pores) in the anodized aluminum surface. These holes absorb the dye that is used, which is applied by immersing the part in the dye solution for a prescribed period of time. The part is then removed from the dye and sealed, which is accomplished by immersing the part in a heated solution, although just plain water, heated to the prescribed temperature, will seal the pores. This process is reputed to close the pores, so the dye should be stable, and not bleed.

I can't help but wonder if, maybe, the parts were not sealed properly. I had masked areas on my parts (wall plates for the lighting system in my house) that are absolutely clear of color. Frankly, I've never seen a properly dyed anodized finish that did any bleeding.

Might not hurt to determine how the parts were dyed. Rit dye has been known to be used, but that's not what is used in industry so far as I know.

Were all areas of the part anodized, or were they masked, so only the area dyed black was intended to be anodized?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

SF2900

Post by SF2900 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:17 am

I have never had anything anodized prior to these parts and have very little knowledge of the process or methods used. Its been a while since the parts were anodized but I believe that the entire part was anodized with nothing being "masked off". Since a friend of a friend performed the work I have no idea of the process or procedures used. I had just never observed this kind of discoloration before in other anodized things that I have seen and want to avoid this pitfall should I choose to anodize more visible parts.
- Ward
Attachments
hangar bracket.jpg
I was considering anodizing this piece as it is aluminum

SF2900

Post by SF2900 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Started on the pilot beam. Cut a couple pieces of angle iron to approximate length. Made some paper templates and started cutting and welding. Also installed the Teflon rings on the pistons and fit them into the cylinders. Also started on the reverse gear but forgot to take pics...
Attachments
pilot beam 1.jpg
Cutting the angle iron
pilot beam 2.jpg
Welding it back up
Pilot beam 3.jpg
Looks pretty good so far
piston.jpg
Ready for a home...