Sweet Wiliam build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

h2ogasnz

Re: Sweet Wiliam build

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

Only a little bit of work done, have started the footplate on the left side and have mounted the reversing stand on the right side, The drawing says left but as the full size loco's I drive are right hand drive, I figured the Sweet William should be too.

Also is a photo of a small temp repair job on one of the full size locos at work that I did a couple of weeks ago.

Jeffrey

The start of the footplate
footplate.jpg
The reversing stand mounted
R stand mounted.jpg
Full size patch
katie patch.jpg
On this loco
katie.jpg
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

I've been looking at that left footplate for a few days now and have figured out that there seems to be a mistake in the drawing and that means the foot plate is to long and will get in the way of the valve gear, so I have cut it back so it will be about level with the front of the firebox, going by the GA drawing and photos of other Sweet Williams on the web this would seem to be about the right length.

Have been worried about how good my smokebox saddle is, so today I got a small laser level and set it up to hit the bottom of the smoke box and then a straight edge just past the smokebox, I took a measurement and then moved the straight edge to the rear of the chassis and took the measurement again. Happy to say at the smokebox I got 69.75mm to the bottom of the beam and at the rear of the chassis I 69.25mm so I'm very happy with that! Also did the side of the smokebox to check the side to side and that came out as about 2mm difference between front and back, over all I'm happy because I was thinking it would be way off the mark and not as good as it is!

Jeffrey

Left footplate ready to weld up before refitting to chassis
left f-plate.jpg
The laser level set up at smokebox, hard to get a good photo.
Smokebox level check.jpg
The level check at rear of chassis
Attachments
smokebox level check2.jpg
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

What's better than 1 Sweet William? How about 2! A friend has started to build one after seeing my Sweet William, so here's a couple of photos of them together.

Jeffrey
SW x2.jpg
SW x2a.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

h2ogasnz wrote:What's better than 1 Sweet William? How about 2! A friend has started to build one after seeing my Sweet William, so here's a couple of photos of them together.
I have been on the fence for a year or so but after seeing yours I got the impulse to start my own. The frames are drilled out and hopefully will be bolted to the stretchers within the next month. You have inspired 2 then!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

Benjamin it's very humbling to know that I've inspired you to start your Sweet William.

I haven't made a lot of forward progress on mine, my wife is only a few weeks away from her due date with the baby so I have been doing all those jobs around the house for her.

Anyway I've found a little time to finish the other 3 spring brackets and cut down the left footplate in length, it should now not foul the valve gear now. I've attached a photo showing the before and after to show what I mean.

Jeffrey

Before & after of the left footplate
footplate re build.jpg
3 spring brackets almost finished
Spring hanger x3.jpg
And fitted to the frame
4 spring brackets.jpg
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

The build came to a very quick halt just over 3 months ago with the 5 & a bit week early arrivel of my baby boy :) I have made a little proguess in the last couple of weeks, first off I have got the horn guides. A friend of a friend give them to me as he made them for somebody else and that person never picked them up, so I got them :) have checked them and the only thing wrong is the overall lenght is 1/4" too short But the horn guides are still very useable!

I have done a little work to the right hand cab footplate but the best proguess is I have started to fit the horn guides to the chassis.

Jeffrey
HG1.jpg
Fitting horn guides 1.jpg
close up HG.jpg
two fitted.jpg
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

I have made so forward progress over the last week or two, I now have the front set of horn guides done and have at long last finished the right hand side cab footplate.

Jeffrey

Front horn guides
24-11-12a.jpg
Cab foot plates
25 11 2012.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Looks good! I just finished installing all of the stretchers in my frame this past weekend and am now trying to source 6.625" wide cold rolled plate or bar to do the end buffers. What did you use? Did you go with 8" and mill it down to size?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

The steel I used for the headstock's was out of the scrap bin at work, I gas-axed a couple of bits off and then marked them out, gas cut as close as I could to the line then used a 8" grinder to almost finished size and finished by hand with a file. If I was to do another one I would use the mill at work to cut them out. If you look back at post #1 on page 1 you will see a photo of one of the headstock's marked out and partly cut out.

Jeffrey
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

I got a little done on the Sweet William today before thing at home went pear shaped and we ended up rushing the baby to hospital But he's all OK now, just his Mum & Dad are still shaking abit!

Anyway todays work was fitting up another two of the horn guides, I'm very happy with it so far, all the horn guides are square to one another and the frame. I laid a 600mm long steel rule against the outside face of the horn on the left side and the rule touches all 3 horn :) Ok the other side of the loco has about a 0.5mm gap for some reason. Also I checked the distance between the front horn guide on the front axle and the front horn guide on the rear axle at the top and bottom of the opening and got the same distance at the top and bottom, like wise the right side of the loco the distance was 0.5 mm more but was the same top & bottom of the opening.

Over all very very happy with the out come so far :)

Jeffrey

One side of the loco with 3 out of 4 horn guides fitted.
6 horns.jpg
It doesn't show too good but the steel rule is touching all 3 horn guide out side faces.
3 in line.jpg
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

Just a quick update: I now have all Horn guides fitted and have also made and fitted all 4 horn keeps, I have also spent a bit of time doing a few odd jobs like cutting to length all the bolts that were too long.

Jeffrey

Horn guides and horn keeps
horn keeps.jpg
Underside of the cab foot plate with Rev stand bracket
underside rev stand a.jpg
The Chassis primed
paint job.jpg
Over view of progress so far
22 12 12.jpg
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

I have not made much progress on the Sweet William but have had a very good step forward on workshop tooling :) I have picked up a small lathe (make that very small) for a song. I paid $141NZD for it (about $115USD). I can't find a brand name or anything on it at all to say who made it, I think may be it is a home made or an apprentice made item. It came with a 3" 3 jaw chuck with both normal & reverse jaws, 3" 4 jaw chuck, 2 dead centers (1MT), Jacobs chuck & key-less chuck, faceplate and a large amount of HSS tooling.

Anyway the sizes are:

Center to center: 210mm
Height over saddle: 62mm
Height over bed: 85mm
Spindle bore: 11mm

I just need to spend a day or so re-wiring as the old wire is not safe due to age.

Jeffrey

Front view
front.jpg
back view
back.jpg
Center to center check
C2C.jpg