Sweet Wiliam build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

K. Browers

Re: Sweet Wiliam build

Post by K. Browers »

Hello Friends,
Here is a photo of Jeffry's wheels, cylinder cover, and valve chest patterns attached to their match plates. The snap flasks are standing behind them. I had the cylinders cast as loose patterns and I wanted to try and see how well these would work. I need to do a few more patterns and they can all be off to the foundry.
Cheers
Karel
Attachments
flasks with match plates.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

That is pretty cool!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hello Friends,
My goodness how time flies.. I have finally gotten some castings done here is a photo
Driver and valve chest castings.jpg
Its rather funny though after making the match plates and a snap flask the foundry would have rather had loose patterns..they are much easier so loose patterns next time it will be. :D.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Now the fun will really start!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice looking patterns and castings. How large are the wheels?
Is it safe to assume they are just gray iron?

Well done!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hello friends,
Hello Harold, Thank you. Yes they are grey cast iron, the wheels are about 7 inches diameter. I will ask permission to get some foundry photos next time I go. Yes Benjamin I am excited to throw them up on the lathe and see how they cut. I asked the foundry to leave the sprues so I might have some samples to test cut first.The same foundry did the cylinders so I expect the new castings to be the same good quality.
Karel
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I have been following this build for some time as I am finishing up a Sweet William my self.
I have a question with regards to the timing, specifically the sliding block location at neutral.
Should the sliding block be perpendicular to the piston centerline in neutral and also the Johnson bar
centered in the quadrant ?
Thank you for any help.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

That is a good question. I imagine within a few months I will be at the stage where I will begin timing my engine too (build log here: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 45&t=95665) but since i haven't gotten there yet I don't know the answer to your question. Timing the engine is probably addressed in the Jack Buckler book but I haven't checked it in a while.
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hello John,
There are many more expert her than I am. I have checked my valve simulator program to refresh my memory (Mr. Dockstader) and it does indicate that the link block is vertical in center. This would make sense as there would be no back and forth movement in relation to the valve if the link was vertical. there will be some movement though due to the angularity of the valve rod.

Depending how far along you might be in your construction you might possibly look as installing Marshal valve gear you will be able to get away from the sliding link.

Happy building
Karel
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Hello Karel,
Thank you for the reply.
You are correct in the placement of the block in vertical in center position.
Confirmed with a friend who built his William about 30 years ago.
Made the correction to the linkage and tried it out on air. Appeared to run well.
Thank you for responding

John
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hi John,
Conflagrations on reaching that mile stone. Do you have photos you could share..I am sure a thread hijack will be OK.. :wink:
Cheers
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Sorry I have not responded until now. Bad weather, the holidays and work load kind of took its toll. I will try to get some pictures together in the next couple of days. Doing some rework - redesign on the smoke box area. Was going to use a little engine cast door front. Non functional. Not a good idea with propane. I do not have internet capability in the flip phone era so I am at the mercy of a friend or family member for pictures.