Sweet Wiliam build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Re: Sweet Wiliam build

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Here is a strange request, but one that only Sweet William builders can answer. In laying out the frames I noticed 7 holes that I cannot identify a purpose for. Four of them are not part of the Sweet Pea design, or I would have asked there first.

They are:
- 2 holes directly above the forward axle box, and above the 3 holes for the Spring Support Brackets.
- 2 holes in horizontal alignment with the 2 mentioned above, and just forward of the rear axle box.
- 3 holes in horizontal alignment at the rear of the frame. The 3 are actually part of 4, though the 4th is solely used for the reversing quadrant support bracket.

I am baffled. I suppose that the first four are related to the boiler. The last 3 are probably related to a bracket to support the cab?

Anyone who is familiar with the engine have any ideas?

(3/18/2013) EDIT: Phil from Blackgates Engineering finally got back to me. Apparently, those holes are for fitting an "Axle box lubricator" above each axle box. He supplied a sheet of plans for me, which don't look like they went with the regular Sweet William plans that they sell. No wonder many of us aren't sure! Phil told me he invented it himself and their are dated 5/30/2006, which means that they are a recent innovation. I am not sure if I will incorporate them into my engine, as I have already installed needle bearings, but it is good to finally understand their purpose.
Last edited by Benjamin Maggi on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Here is a strange request, but one that only Sweet William builders can answer. In laying out the frames I noticed 7 holes that I cannot identify a purpose for. Four of them are not part of the Sweet Pea design, or I would have asked there first.

They are:
- 2 holes directly above the forward axle box, and above the 3 holes for the Spring Support Brackets.
- 2 holes in horizontal alignment with the 2 mentioned above, and just forward of the rear axle box.
- 3 holes in horizontal alignment at the rear of the frame. The 3 are actually part of 4, though the 4th is solely used for the reversing quadrant support bracket.

I am baffled. I suppose that the first four are related to the boiler. The last 3 are probably related to a bracket to support the cab?

Anyone who is familiar with the engine have any ideas?
Hi,

The first 2 holes - I Have real no idea, I've read & re-read the book and looked at lots of photos and have no real answer. Some locos seem to use it to mount the oil pump and some seem to use it for the drain cock levers pivot point and lots seem to not use them for anything.

The 2nd 2 holes - no real idea.

The last 3 holes - there is a bit of angle bolts to the inside of the frame and this is the support for the firbox, the 4 holes near the top edge of the frame that the cab footplate bolts to, make the 3rd from the rear a tapping size for the bolts you are using as the nut on the inside of the frame will be right above the firebox support and will be in the way.

Jeffrey
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

h2ogasnz wrote:The first 2 holes - I Have real no idea, I've read & re-read the book and looked at lots of photos and have no real answer. Some locos seem to use it to mount the oil pump and some seem to use it for the drain cock levers pivot point and lots seem to not use them for anything.
I don't mean the two holes that are at an angle (which clearly are for the mechanical lubricators). I assume you understand what I mean, but are saying that you have seen people use them anyway for mounting lubricators.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

My frame was built by someone else and i noticed a number of extra holes. I didn't compare those to the drawings and just assumed the builder made mistakes. See below you will see the first 2 groups you mention. The 3rd group is covered by my coal bunkers and don't show up in pix.
Attachments
extra holes2.jpg
extra holes.jpg
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I emailed Blackgates directly, and if I hear anything back I will post it here. Very strange.
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:I emailed Blackgates directly, and if I hear anything back I will post it here. Very strange.
Hi,

Did you ever find out what the holes are for?

Jeffrey
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

(3/18/2013) EDIT: They did respond eventually, and were very helpful. Better late then never.
Last edited by Benjamin Maggi on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Here is another fun question regarding a potential problem in the making: for 7.25" gauge track, the IBLS wheel "standards" call for back-to-back wheel spacing of 6.870, In measuring the distance from the outer edges of the axle boxes, were were very nearly there. How much clearance do you have between your axle boxes and your wheels?
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi,

I Can't help with this one for two reasons: I'm not using the IBLS wheel standards and I haven't got that far yet.

I haven't worked on the Sweet William for about a month due to working on painting the house & Gardening and fance building and garden shed building and helping to look after the baby... But it's all good as when the garden shed is finshed I'll have a lot more room in the workshop area as all the garden tools and lawn mower etc will be out in the shed and not in the workshop :)

Jeffrey
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

Due to family stuff and house painting, The baby and life getting in the way I haven't made any progress on the Sweet William until today, Today I got the hand brake stand partly done. I had to use the big lathe at work as my small home lathe was just too small to handle the bit of tubing that makes up part of the stand. I'm happy with the out come so far as it's the first time I've used a lathe in years... anyway here's a couple of photo's

Jeffrey

Hand brake stand started
hand brake stand.jpg
Bottom of hand brake stand base
hand brake stand base.jpg
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

So I have now got the hand brake stand finished (apart from painting) and have started work on the hand brake handle, anyway I'm very happy with the stand, I know it's not much compared to the work of others here but it is the first time I've done any lathe work in 20 years or so and I wasn't any good at it 20 years ago, so I'm happy!

Jeffrey
HandB stand out.jpg
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi all,

Hand brake is done and ready to be mounted.

Jeffrey
Hand brake finished.jpg