Hand powered speeder

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

duckman903

Re: Hand powered speeder

Post by duckman903 »

OK it's confirmed she gets to paint it any color (for Dianne colour) she wants.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Well purple went out the window and she picked "Fire Engine Red", she also learned that you can get a lot of paint on your fingers using a spray can, that was for the frame, the seat box got a brush coat of FER. Pictures coming, and we will be at WLS (Waushakum Live Steamers) this Sunday.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

OK here come the FER pictures. I also modified the pump handle the bike bars were to wide and hit her knees.
Attachments
DSCN0847[1].JPG
DSCN0848[1].JPG
DSCN0849[1].JPG
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Looks great!!
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Had a good time at WLS on Sunday, GD made a bunch of trips around the track, then as people arrived offered the speeder to kids to ride, one little girl had her brother come with her because she didn't want to get lost, then, there's always one kid that can break or ruin anything, he managed to break the handle loose, and pop the chain off the drive and I thought that I'd made it bullet proof.
Attachments
DSCN0871[1].JPG
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

And her next endeavor is an 1-1/2" northern right? Go for the gusto

Pamela
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

The speeder has been fun, but I showed my GD the layout at Train Mountain and told her about the triennial in 2015 she said that we should go. But I then told her there is 35 miles of track, and under power it takes about 1 1/2-2 hours to go around once, sooo it looks like there is going to be a modification made, so now the decision has to be made, electric, gas-hydraulic, gas-mechanical, gas-mech. would only have forward motion unless I put something like the old Panzer tractors used, lever forward tighten belt and go, for reverse pull lever back and use a friction drive for reverse, when done the speeder would look like a box cab pulling a flat car for seating.I have a work envelope of 14" wide, 39" long, and 16" high, will have to re gauge the wheels to 7 1/2" that is the easiest part, I know I have 1 1/2 years to do it in but time can really fly when your not watching. I'm open to suggestions so toss them out. :?: :idea: I neglected to add that we'll be looking at a trip of 2,995 miles one way, my estimate of fuel usage is about 450 gallons round trip it may be more or it might be less.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

IMHO: I would start on a critter or boxcab, and create another unit, and keep the arm stretcher as is. Gas or eclectric, dont matter. Start makin wheels and axles for the 'other' normal guage and have at it. Lots of time to be creative. Just put a reminder somplace on your calender fore each month, ( 14 months left, & etc). Most people dont plan to fail, they just fail to plan, and work a plan.

Best wishes.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Steamin10 thanks for the insight but I don't have enough material for 4 more wheels, but I do have a pump, sprockets, chain, tank hoses, hyd. motor, re gauging of wheels is a matter of loosening a split collar and moving wheels into gauge, so after taking inventory it looks like gas-hyd.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I wont engage the argument. Only my opinion, from a guy that has a mountain of parts and little done.

Itis up to you, I only wish to encourage not direct your attentions as I would have it. You are not building for me. Do, and have fun.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Steamin10 every thing that is on the present unit is bolted on so I can remove any parts very easily, and when it is finally donated to the club I'll revert it back to an arm stretcher.
HomeRailwayJournal

Post by HomeRailwayJournal »

Dale_F wrote:The Winter 2006 issue of Home Railway Journal has plans for the "Rail pup" - a hand powered speeder. The issue can be ordered from Matt Mason.
Check http://www.homerailwayjournal.com
Available here: http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/627733