10 USRA Mikados

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

hwboivin3

10 USRA Mikados

Post by hwboivin3 »

Started a group build of 4 Mikados with Brian Tusin and two others. I wanted to wait until I had some pictures before I
posted. So, here's the first update.

The frames were Laser cut and Blanchard ground to .812.
Attachments
008.jpg
Last edited by hwboivin3 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
hwboivin3

Re: 4 USRA Mikados

Post by hwboivin3 »

We have to decided to not use Railroad Warehouse castings early on and since they no longer supply them, it was definitely the right choice. I have a bridgeport cnc and soon to be two. So, I am planning on making most of what was a casting out of steel.

Here's more pcs
Attachments
001.jpg
001b.JPG
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

The frame crossties are made from 1/2 thick steel. I didn't particularly care for the thin casting design.
Attachments
002a.jpg
002b.jpg
002c.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

The Pilot EQ Fulcrum and the Heart Links
Attachments
004.jpg
005a.jpg
005b.jpg
005c.jpg
005d.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

The Pilot Truck Frame. These were fun to make. The finish program was 12hrs long. I set a piece up, went to work and it was done about 10 mins after I came home.
Attachments
003a.jpg
003b.jpg
003c.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Instead of bending the lower pilot braces, I opted to machine them. They worked out well. About 30 min total per piece and an hour to make the fixture. Plus a pic of the pilot truck so far.
Attachments
006a.jpg
006b.jpg
006c.jpg
007b.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Last post for now, here are 2 pics of the 1st batch of powder coated parts.
Attachments
009.JPG
010.JPG
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Nice work, these are great engines. I would like to build another one someday if I could find some castings that were reasonable.

Tim
gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 »

You must be accumulating one serious pile of swarf. Your finished product looks outstanding.
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Swarf! You made me dig out my dictionary on that one! And yes, I typically fill a 5 gallon bucket per week, but not all from train parts.

Swarf.... I've never heard that word before, I'll have to remember that one.

Tim, no help from me on castings except for the 2 castings from Dave Sclavi. Nice quality , reasonable price, speed delivery. Railroad supply currently has some and in process of making more, but .... Brian Tusin had problems with them with well over 6 months for delivery etc..
Frisco1522

Post by Frisco1522 »

I always see the USRA Hvy mikes. Does anyone build the Light mikes? Many roads used them and they would be a pretty engine.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hwboivin3 wrote: Swarf.... I've never heard that word before, I'll have to remember that one.
You've never heard it because it's poor use of a word for the operation at hand. That, however, may be a "regional" thing.

Take note that when you read information on large CNC machines, a "chip conveyor" is offered. Not a "swarf" conveyer.

The word swarf generally applies to very fine particles---swarf being the waste material generated by the grinding process, for example. Some nations (and/or individuals) apply the word across the board, to represent chips as well. It's much like the word "tram", which is totally foreign to me as a journeyman machinist. Information I've read indicates it is a term that had its origin in steam ----- when tramming was setting timing on engines. Trammel points were used, thus one "trammed" the engine.

I use DTI when truing the head on a mill----not trammel points. I "dial in" the head. I don't see where tramming applies.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.