10 USRA Mikados

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

hwboivin3

Re: 10 USRA Mikados

Post by hwboivin3 »

Also,

Frame number #1 is finished along with the cradle rails.
Attachments
WP_20150329_006.jpg
WP_20150329_007.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Started thinking about these pcs the last couple of weeks.

Going to attempt fabricating them.

Made 12 of these so far for 2 sets. Will make 3-4 more sets before moving on to the top head.
Attachments
WP_20150418_001.jpg
WP_20150420_001.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Working on some little pcs.

Pivot pins for the trailing truck.
Small tie rods
Tie rod ends
Brake eq

The McMaster fairy will be bringing me a left hand 1/4-28 die tomorrow to finish up the tie rods.

Nothing major accomplished, but at least it's something to cross off the "to do" list.
Attachments
WP_20150427_001.jpg
WP_20150427_002.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Op1 finished on the top head.

Need to drill the hole next, mill the excess off the top and then setup to mill the top profile.
Attachments
WP_20150428_001.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Getting back into the Mikado again after a busy summer.

Here's the link brackets that I was able to do over the holiday.
Attachments
WP_20151128_002.jpg
WP_20151130_001.jpg
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Looks great Harry!
That's a cool way to make the brackets.

Tim
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

The rest of the link brackets roughed out.

Starting the finish programs tomorrow
Attachments
WP_20151214_001.jpg
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Wow! Nice work Harry!

Jim B
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Harry,
Are you the only person working on the project? It seems it started off hot but has stalled the past couple of years. Any idea when you think the first one will be running?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Ben,

I took a much needed break! Especially after scrapping a batch of heart rockers, pilot eq beams and a couple small pcs.

Plus, I tend to do very little during the summer

Others are working.....but haven't posted.

Hint hint Dale

Dale is building 2, I'm building 2.....possibly 4, if I can't find a home for them. And there are 4 other guys
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

rrnut-2 wrote:Wow! Nice work Harry!

Jim B

Jim,

One set will be headed your way.

:D
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Swarf: an ugly Klingon, or any of the debris from machine operations. Pretty much slang. Been run over by this word for 30+ yrs.

According to the military, and Whiting Crane, a template is used to establish and read three Tram points on a load lifting hook. The template then forever is the standard that lets us observe any distortion or deviation in the original hook due to stress or wear, causing bending. In this case between shank, curl and tip, being a described triangle.

In steam, tramming is indeed a method of checking wear, and setting valves links, back to design specs, as wear shifts these dimensions. A way of checking benchmark points.

In machining, it has become a slang term for setting parts and milling heads, into perfect alignment for square. in other words a working setup is 'trammed in' on a mill table to make a run of parts. Also to establish true 90* tool setup to the table, for the least amount of cutter marks, that also depend on the tightness of the machine. Engineers drive me nuts with that phrase, as they generally dont start out with any idea of how tooling removes metal, and the ideal, does not exist. Same as a CNC Operator, is generally a loader, and does not have a clue on programming, as that comes from some office.

Thats why I like a hammer. Give one to somebody that knows how to use one, and stand back, it can be an education.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.