3/4" scale Juliet and CNO&TP Ms-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Stuie

3/4" scale Juliet and CNO&TP Ms-4

Post by Stuie »

Hi everyone.
For starters I would like to thank everyone who has helped me with research and helped me figure out how to build and design certain parts for my Ms-4. I thought I would finally start posting pictures of my two projects. Building them both at the same time should be an interesting experience! My dad and I are working together to build a 3/4" scale Juliet with a tender. the progress has been non-existent until this winter break. Since then my dad has been working on building the check valves and I have been working on building the valve gear and motion work. So far my dad has been building a couple of check valve bodies so we can test them and get a couple of good ones that do not leak under pressure. With the Ms-4 project I have not made any chips fly but that might not be too far off in the future. What I have done so far is to start building a foam model of the engine. This is to help make sure that all the drawings are matching and that there is no discrepancy between them. I have also used this to test different setup of the interior of the cab. A lot more will come in the future but this is what I have for now. Enjoy!
Attachments
Juliet valve rods, one finished and one needing filing.
Juliet valve rods, one finished and one needing filing.
Juliet link hangers
Juliet link hangers
What me and my dad both want the Juliet to look like.
What me and my dad both want the Juliet to look like.
Another option for what I would like to build the Juliet to look like.
Another option for what I would like to build the Juliet to look like.
3/4" scale LBSC Bantam Cock
3/4" scale B4 project (re-designed LBSC Juliet)
- Stuart T. Harrod -
Stuie

Re: 3/4" scale Juliet and CNO&TP Ms-4

Post by Stuie »

More photos. This is the Ms-4 model I have been building.
Attachments
back head.JPG
Firbox.JPG
front of cab.JPG
cab side.JPG
cab interior with roof removed.JPG
- Stuart T. Harrod -
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Even more photos! :D
Attachments
frame & cylinders.JPG
frame cut outs.JPG
front overall view.JPG
rear overall view.JPG
- Stuart T. Harrod -
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Beautiful work on the model Stuie. That's a great method also. I may use that approach when I try to build a K-27. Look forward to your continued progress.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Nice work Stuie, Have you seen this? It's made from plastic sheets...
http://jmelliott.blogspot.com/

John
WJH

Post by WJH »

JohnHudak wrote:Nice work Stuie, Have you seen this? It's made from plastic sheets...
http://jmelliott.blogspot.com/

John
Really nice looking, and I bet it was just as much work as building a working live steam model
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

One suggestion. You might consider making some parts over scale. I am looking at your reverser and quadrant and I think you will find that it is very difficult to access. This will be particularly true when you are wearing gloves.
Other than that...your work is very impressive.

Keith
Last edited by LVRR2095 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Thanks John! Andy showed me the email about this that you sent him. It truly is amazing! Do you have drawings for the butterfly doors?
Good idea Keith! This is exactly why I built the model, so I could test ideas and parts. I was hoping I would be able to move the reverser back far enough that I would be able to use it through the window but alas even this is not possible. It looks like I will have to build an even bigger reverser stand. Another thing I learned from this is that I will probably want to enlarge the fire hole and the butterfly doors. Currently it is 1"x2" with round corners but I think that might be too small for reasonable firing. What does everyone else think? Yesterday I did manage to squeeze some time in and file the 2nd valve rod and push the brasses into both rods. Question on the expansion link for the Juliet. In the drawings it shows it being built with a square brass but I think that might be harder to build. Would it make a difference if I were to machine the slot with round corners like on the big boy expansion links?
Attachments
001.JPG
5660552792_2e0eb82516_z.jpg
Original expansion link according to the drawings
Original expansion link according to the drawings
- Stuart T. Harrod -
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Final update for the day. My dad finished machining the 3 Check valve bodies and their lids and I finished forming and silver soldering the lubricator body. This is the latest we have both stayed up together in a while! :D
Attachments
001.JPG
- Stuart T. Harrod -
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I haven't gotten a chance to make much progress on machining parts recently but I have been able to continue to fit in time to design parts! The progress on the Ms-4 CAD model is more advanced than the model shows but that's because Ive designed parts that are not ready to go into the model yet. I also finally found the right plans thanks to Scott K! I hope to get back into the shop soon!
Attachments
The overall Ms-4 model. Kind of has a Canadian appearance, doesn't it?
The overall Ms-4 model. Kind of has a Canadian appearance, doesn't it?
Ms-4 drawings. Unfortunately the drawings are faded heavily on the left side.
Ms-4 drawings. Unfortunately the drawings are faded heavily on the left side.
- Stuart T. Harrod -
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

A word of experience with the Juliet model that you are doing such a nice job constructing

They won't steam worth a hoot on just any coal.

Legit Welsh steaming coal or GREEN Petroleum coke are pretty much needed to get them to run correctly.

Finding either takes some doing depending on where you live.

Also, look at the plans carefully and be totally sure that you can drop the ash pan and get the grate out.

If not, I would suggest you look at minor design changes to allow same.

Owning / operating a loco that requires you to pick it up, turn on end and shake the firebox clean out the firedoor leaves a lot to be desired, especially when it is HOT.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

I have a 3/4" Juliet II with Baker gear. This was my first loco and I learned to operate with it. I do not agree with Bill as to it's steaming ability. Mine steams very well and I have continuously steamed it using hard coal until I was tuckered out and needed a break. Like any small firebox you have to pay attention and there is not much room for error. I did make new grates for it and a deeper ashpan that allows pulling the grate from the rear. It takes a moment to drop the fire out. I struggled with soft coal. I have experimented with mixes and sizes. I have best success with rice sized anthracite. Stoke thin, fairly often, pay attention to blower use. I rarely poke the fire. This is key to hard coal. Pay heed to tossing the coal in. The small coal size will lift into the tubes. It has tremendous draft. Barely crack the blower at rest to reduce cold air when you open the firebox and not pull coal. Dont stoke when pulling hard. Plan when you add water! If you let the hard coal fire get to low use a little soft to perk it up. No clumping with the hard coal, and burns clean.
It's a great little loco and pulls it's heart out. It manages two riding cars with two 180lb guys (bearing wheels). The only drawback is it doesn't carry much water in the side tanks. The tender would have more capacity but the weight on the loco is better for traction. I also like being right next to the loco with no tender to reach over, around, or thru.
Not sure if I can post pics......

Bob D.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0