Building the 2.5" Scale Shay

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

kvom

Re: Building the 2.5" Scale Shay

Post by kvom »

I would suggest buying a 3/4" drill chuck with a MT3 shank.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Well, I put a live center in the tail stock and held the ream with a pair of vice grips. I bored the hole to .73 and the ream self centered in the hole. I'll post pictures later
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Soot n' Cinders

Ok, now I need more advice. I don't think my ream made a hole that's exactly .750" and my axels are just a thou or two shy of .750" thus causing me to be able to push the axels into the whole by hand. Not exactly what I was looking for. The hole is reading .752 and my axels are reading .748-.749", is there a way to still be able to use the four axels I have or do I need to machine new axels to a larger dimension (if so, how big should they be)?
The axel hole in the faced wheel
The axel hole in the faced wheel
The semi faced tread, the rest will be done later
The semi faced tread, the rest will be done later
-Tristan

Projects

Andrew Pugh

Post by Andrew Pugh »

Loctite?

Machining on the tread is properly referred to as turning. 8)
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

If you haven't bored all 8 drivers then you only need to make one new axle or as posted above use loctite.
I always make my axles to match the wheels. The new axle should be .753 for a press fit.

John B.
kvom

Post by kvom »

Green loctite - they won't come off
Soot n' Cinders

Ok, it sounds like if I want a true press fit, I have to make new axels. Otherwise green loctite will hold the wheels on just fine. Would a marine grade epoxy work as well, if not better, than loctite? I have plenty left over from a sailboat project.
-Tristan

Projects

makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Loctite, broach and key them. You should be good to go.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Soot n' Cinders wrote:Ok, it sounds like if I want a true press fit, I have to make new axels. Otherwise green loctite will hold the wheels on just fine. Would a marine grade epoxy work as well, if not better, than loctite? I have plenty left over from a sailboat project.
That's most likely a crap shoot. LocTite is engineered to work in the required fashion----epoxy most likely is not. It may not have the required wicking ability. If it works, fine, but if it doesn't, you're opening the door for a lot of hard work undoing the mistake.

Experiment only if you don't mind addressing the rework.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Soot n' Cinders

I decided to give Loctite a try. I'll have to go by Ace Hardware tomorrow to get the green kind though, every other local hardware store only has blue and red. I'll make a note to myself to turn the arbor for the wheels to .753 so I can press the wheels on to finish turning them.
-Tristan

Projects

kvom

Post by kvom »

You may have to order the green loctite from Enco, but check Lowes or HD. It will set on the axles in about 10-15 seconds, so once you put it on make sure to get in the correct position quickly. To remove the wheel, you'll need to heat it and the axle to 500F+, and then press it off.
Soot n' Cinders

kvom wrote:You may have to order the green loctite from Enco, but check Lowes or HD. It will set on the axles in about 10-15 seconds, so once you put it on make sure to get in the correct position quickly. To remove the wheel, you'll need to heat it and the axle to 500F+, and then press it off.
Thanks for the tip. HD and Lowes only have red and blue loctite. Sounds like it may be a good idea to make a jig to get the wheels in gauge before the loctite sets. I know that, if I machine everything right, I won't need a gauge jig, but I want to be doubly sure that the wheels are in gauge when the loctite sets.
-Tristan

Projects