Welcome to the Build Log

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

larry_g

Re: Welcome to the Build Log

Post by larry_g »

I have found on this and many other forums there is some form of "view unread posts" or "view new posts" button to click. As an infrequent visitor here I use the "view new posts" button at the top right of most pages here and I see all the post since my last visit irregardless of which subform they are in. Try it out and you'll not miss things.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

larry_g wrote:I have found on this and many other forums there is some form of "view unread posts" or "view new posts" button to click. As an infrequent visitor here I use the "view new posts" button at the top right of most pages here and I see all the post since my last visit irregardless of which subform they are in. Try it out and you'll not miss things.

lg
no neat sig line
Except that it shows you all new posts from every forum including the non-steam forums. It would be cool if that feature paid attention to what forum level you are sitting at. (like when you are here
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=35 and can only see the live steam related forum list.)

--Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Here is a question about the build Log and photos:

I was planning on starting a thread here on Chaski detailing the build of my engine. It will probably be photo intensive, as most of the build-log threads are. My original photo hosting website no longer operates, so I am shopping for a new one. As this may change in the future, it seemed logical that the best thing to do would be to upload the photos directly to Chaski.

Is there a photo limit per user as to how many photos they can upload? Will Chaski eventually be overloaded and break due to too many photos? I am thinking long term, not that I plan to upload 1000 photos for my engine.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Is there a photo limit per user as to how many photos they can upload?
There used to be a quota, which, once met, had to be addressed by deleting older pictures. To my knowledge, that no longer exists.
Will Chaski eventually be overloaded and break due to too many photos?
As things are structured currently, yes, that can happen. The owner is working on a solution.
I am thinking long term, not that I plan to upload 1000 photos for my engine.
For that, we thank you. How I wish all readers would consider what they post in the way of pictures, which take an overwhelming amount of space.
There's a few things you, as well as all readers, can do to help with this issue. One of them is to not post huge pictures. There's no need for anything larger than 1024 x 768, although the software now doesn't permit them to be posted. That was not always the case.

Larger pictures are often linked to the board, and that creates a lot more work for me, as they can't be allowed to remain. Such pictures cause text spread for readers with older monitors, resulting in having to scroll side to side to read the posts. All posts on the page suffer that consequence. Pictures that are linked to the forum should not be wider than 800 pixels. If they are, they should be posted such that they must be clicked to be viewed. If they display automatically, the risk of having them deleted is very real. Up to now I've simply been editing the link, so they must be clicked. If I don't see more cooperation, I'll start deleting the links, and even the posts if there isn't an improvement in cooperation.

One thing that should be considered by all who post multiple pictures---that they are helpful. Posting numerous pictures that don't reveal new information consumes space unnecessarily, bringing the day of collapse all the closer.

So then, when you begin your building project and post for others to follow, please limit file size of each picture to 100 kb or less. Ensure that each picture is unique. Needless to say, they should have continuity, so they make sense to the reader. All just "common sense" stuff, really.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
applejak_2000

Post by applejak_2000 »

Harold_V wrote:
Benjamin Maggi wrote: Will Chaski eventually be overloaded and break due to too many photos?
As things are structured currently, yes, that can happen. The owner is working on a solution.
....Harold
Harold,
What is the current situation as far as Chaski potentially becoming overloaded, and has the owner looked into it ? What are his feelings on that potential problem?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

applejak_2000 wrote:
Harold_V wrote:
Benjamin Maggi wrote: Will Chaski eventually be overloaded and break due to too many photos?
....Harold
Harold,
What is the current situation as far as Chaski potentially becoming overloaded, and has the owner looked into it ? What are his feelings on that potential problem?
I can't speak for the owner, but I'll bring to his attention your comments.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
dorin

Post by dorin »

I have a solution for the size and quantity of pictures (so no picture overload, for now)
..but still working on some performance issues that crop up from time to time.
-Mike
www.chaski.com