Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

Needing to make changes to the stand in the shop, I moved the Rust Bucket into the pickup bed today. The shop stand has fixed castors on one end and is not usable in the shop.

It was its first trip into the Sunshine since I drug it home from Florida.
DSC_3623.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

This is a test response to help the nice IT people at Chaski who are helping with a problem I am having

This is where I would like to go with the Rust Bucket (This is not my engine)
untitled.png
untitled.png (99.35 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
0902250009%20Lucky%207.jpg
0902250018%20Lucky%207.jpg
0902250024%20Lucky%207.jpg
If these upload the problem is on my PC at home
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

This a test for the Chaski IT dept. They think they have the problem fixed.

This is my homework from the Machinist Course I am taking at the Jr. College
DSC_3621.jpg
Seems to be fixed

these are the new castors for the stand
DSC_3626.jpg
If it uploads they seem to have fixed the problem. Some type of configuration change at the phpbb.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

TA-DAAAA-----

Another great day at the Pipes house. Well to be exact at the MSLS track.

Scott Reedy was nice enough to meet me at the track today where we used the club engine to haul the Rust Bucket around the track thru the various switches and some of the tighter radius curves. All this to test out my swing link, rear truck, design and added equalizer set up that was not stock on the Lyn design.

For Ballast I had strapped on a chunk of ten inch pipe and threw in a couple of cinder blocks and me on the rear end to get an idea of how it tracked.
DSC_3699.jpg
It became obvious very quickly that the original British design on the leading truck was a total waste of effort.
DSC_1149.jpg
the problems started out with the fact that it had no extra room for lifting or dropping. It had less than a quarter of inch up or down of travel when going over bumps in the track. We had to put it back on the track at least ten times while making the first lap. We discussed the solution would be to cut away part of the forward frame bar to allow the vertical lift and extend the center pin and springs to keep the weight on the truck when the track dropped. At this point I am thinking no problem. I can do that.

The Scott took me up to the station where there is a 50 foot radius curve. The front truck locked up to the point that it derailed. This because the front truck hit the inside of the frames could not stay aligned with the track. This too could be fixed by cutting more of the front frame away but it would be quite a bit of redesign for something that is only cosmetic. The front truck is a Lionel Train type with no weight on it or self centering.

We decided to pull the front truck at that point and see how it ran as a 0-4-4. Now while this sounds easy enough, you must remember I have added weight to the point the beast was up around 300 pounds. I have already taken muscle relaxers and Ibuprophen now that I am home and hope Scott has too. I also ended up with a busted pinky.

At his point we made a faster un around the lower loop and the ride was great. All is well in the universe. I know the addition of a well designed, self centering front truck is suppose to help an engine track but the self centering rear truck appears to accomplish the same thing, acting more like a boats rudder.

So instead of going to all the trouble of modifying the front of the engine, It will now become kind of a 0-4-4T which will require the removal of about a foot of the front frame.
Forney Outside Frame.jpg
DSC_3705.jpg
More later. Looking for a Band-Aid.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Fender

Post by Fender »

Charlie,
It will track even better if you take that big rock off the tender tank..... :lol:
I think the outcome of the 2-4-4 vs. 0-4-4 decision is definitely: less is more!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Fender has asked why we did not take it to the transfer table, where we could have swung the engine out of line with the track and then put the nose of the locomotive over the end to drop the truck.

Well......
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Fender

Post by Fender »

Charlie,
Suggest you change the title of this thread to "Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 0-4-4".
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
keith6233

Post by keith6233 »

H! Charlie

This is how i got round the problem on my Lyn.
Attachments
rsz_dsc01895.jpg
rsz_dsc01897.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Charlie, one thing to consider, if you remove the front truck the drivers will impart a lot of wear to the aluminum rail in the curves. I had a 4-4-4 once apon a time with a poorly machined front truck. It derailed constantly. So finally took it off and ran as an 0-4-4. It was a Christmas train for the public. So couldn't just park it. After 3 weeks the outside rail was really, badly worn. The front trucks definitely help guide the front of the engine around the track. Also, one of wheels on the front truck was a slightly smaller diameter than the other three - definitely a cause of some of the problems.

Another thing to consider, might be turning all the (front truck)wheels to a smaller diameter, thus lowering the truck and giving more clearance with the frame. This might entail rebuilding/ shimming the vertical connection with the frame, but might allow more turning radius. Just thinking off the end of the chart here...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

The original front truck, the way it is designed, does absolutely NO guiding of the locomotive whatsoever, so even if he decides to keep it, the wheel wear and guidance of the locomotive will be completely unaffected. It is just on there for looks, and like he said, is designed about like a Lionel locomotive would be, with a pin and a slot that it moves side-to-side in. The only reason to modify this truck and leave it on there would be if that is the way he wants it to look. It has very little weight on it and the wheels hit the frames when going around a 60' radius or sharper (50' will derail it completely).
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

As Scott says, the leading truck on the Lyn is simply for looks. it has no weight on it in the configuration I have set up and really caused a lot more problems than I expected.

As to the lateral motion the method that Keith showed would definitely work But the lateral problem is not the big issue as long as I stayed on 60 foot or larger radius. But that alone would limit where I could run as far as visiting other tracks.

More later the wife is calling to dinner.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Back again.

The primary issue I have is that the original truck has no swing links for centering and very little up and down travel to handle rises and falls in the track at MSLS.

NOTE: Not knocking the track at MSLS, mind you, as I have, in the short time I have been a member, seen what it takes to keep it up.

So the truck is out and next comes shortening the front end to be more in line with the 0-4-4T. It will be a stand off scale model to say the least.
DSC_3714.jpg
Glen Brooks mentioned wear to the rails, but I look at this two ways. I am mostly a shop guy. I am a 2 times a year guy at the track and it can't be any worse than all the 0-4-0's that are out there. When I retire maybe four time a year, but once again I am the type that may make a only a few laps when I do run.

By the way the truck has been offered to a builder in England for use on his Lyn
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American