CNW J class Mikado

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Re: CNW J class Mikado

Post by FLtenwheeler »

A big step, It looks like a locomotive frame.

Tim
Attachments
P6260945.JPG
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Peter Crisler

Post by Peter Crisler »

FLtenwheeler wrote:A big step, It looks like a locomotive frame.

Tim
\

Lookin' real good, Tim!
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

How is your locomotive coming along Peter?

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Peter Crisler

Post by Peter Crisler »

FLtenwheeler wrote:How is your locomotive coming along Peter?

Tim
Right now, I need to finish the rear steam chest covers and the valve stem crosshead and guides. All the rest of the valve gear is done. Once I get these parts made, I can try it on air. I've had it towed around Don Saagar's track twice and it tracked OK and nothing got hot. Put about 12 miles on the chassis so far just towing it. I have all the steel pieces for the boiler and I am working on the tender design. I am right in the middle of having a garage constructed and when it's done, the locomotive gets moved from a "shared" shed into the garage where I can assemble everything I have and take some pictures. Mama gets what she calls a "she shed" and I get all of a 28' x 34' garage for my truck, car and locomotive shop. A fair trade!
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi All

Slowly moving along. I was able to cast one of the larger cross ties. I had to use a 6x10 flask. I am glad I do not have that many parts that will need that large of flask. It is heavy.

Ti
Attachments
P7020956.JPG
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice casting!
Did you pour bronze? If so, did you use scrap, or virgin ingot?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi Harold

I use silicon bronze ingots for locomotive parts. I have been using Shapeways "White Strong & Flexible Plastic" for the wax. (LOL) I am having very good luck.

Tim
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Tim.

I'm impressed! I've always had an interest in foundry work and would enjoy getting my equipment operational. I'd like to experiment with making quality sand castings. I think it can be done, with care.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I think the use of back-yard-casting as it is now called is becoming much more prevalent in the hobby.

Can we see the pattern you used on the cross tie?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi

No you can not see the pattern because I burned it out. I am using the lost wax method of casting, but use 3D printed parts to burn out. I just did the Brake cylinder support cross tie today. This is my largest casting to date and is at the limit of my electric furnace. I have a larger part to do but I will need to get a larger first furnace.

Tim
Attachments
P7030961.JPG
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

FLtenwheeler wrote:No you can not see the pattern because I burned it out. I am using the lost wax method of casting,
Ahhh! That helps explain the incredible detail I witnessed. An excellent method for creating a single item.
Keep sharing! I'm enjoying your contributions tremendously.

Harold
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

FLtenwheeler wrote:Hi Harold

I use silicon bronze ingots for locomotive parts. I have been using Shapeways "White Strong & Flexible Plastic" for the wax. (LOL) I am having very good luck.

Tim

The white plastic burns out just like wax..? Doesn't shapways print in wax also?
John