CNW J class Mikado

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Re: CNW J class Mikado

Post by FLtenwheeler »

JohnHudak wrote:
FLtenwheeler wrote:Hi Harold

I use silicon bronze ingots for locomotive parts. I have been using Shapeways "White Strong & Flexible Plastic" for the wax. (LOL) I am having very good luck.

Tim

The white plastic burns out just like wax..? Doesn't shapways print in wax also?
John

Hi John

Yes, the plastic burns out clean, but it does stink. Luckily the work shop is not attached to the house. The Shapeways wax is for small objects and is very costly.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I was able to get some work done on the drivers. The axle hole is bored and reamed to size. Now to cut the keyways.

Tim
Attachments
Drivers.jpg
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
kvom

Post by kvom »

JohnHudak wrote:
FLtenwheeler wrote:Hi Harold

I use silicon bronze ingots for locomotive parts. I have been using Shapeways "White Strong & Flexible Plastic" for the wax. (LOL) I am having very good luck.

Tim

The white plastic burns out just like wax..? Doesn't shapways print in wax also?
John
The wax is much more expensive than the plastic. Plus, you can make only small parts in wax.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Very interesting, Tim. What temperature do you use to burn out the "lost plastic", and for how long?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi Dan

I use Ultra Vest Jewelry Investment With Fiberglass and use there standard burnout instructions. So it is 1350F.

Tim
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I have the driver centers machined and am working on machining the tires. I am going with an 0.008" shrink fit. I am trying to hold a plus or minus 0.0005" on the tire ID.

Tim
Attachments
Pie Jaws Machine Inside of Tire.JPG
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi All

I just received the Frame Crosstie & Bumper Beam Bracket from the foundry. It turned out great. A printed sand mold was use to produce the casting. I am very happy with the results. How to set it up and machine it. Then I can assemble the side frames.

Tim
Attachments
Frame, Crosstie & Bumper Beam Bracket
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

It's a work of art, Tim.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Thanks
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Is that George Washington your change back from a Ben Franklin?
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

FLtenwheeler wrote:Hi All

I just received the Frame Crosstie & Bumper Beam Bracket from the foundry. It turned out great. A printed sand mold was use to produce the casting. I am very happy with the results. How to set it up and machine it. Then I can assemble the side frames.

Tim
Hi Tim,

This is very interesting! How complicated a process is it to have the foundry create the printed sand mold and make the part?? Is it expensive to create small batches of one off parts, such as 3" scale frame pieces, couplers, etc for a 12" ga loco???

Thanks much
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Kimball McGinley wrote:Is that George Washington your change back from a Ben Franklin?
I wish. It was a lot to get this part done. I need to learn how to gate and do the mold setup myself.

Tim