2-1/2" NG class A shay.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Brian Hilgert

Re: 2-1/2" NG class A shay.

Post by Brian Hilgert »

I had to slow down working on the shay to do some other spring/summer activities... but I am still chugging away.

First test fit of the truck assembly
truck 2.jpg
truck 3.jpg
I had to purchase a different size broach sleeve and just received it today. Hopefully, I can broach the drivers and get them mounted on the axles tonight.. And if time allows.... clean up the shop!
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

I pressed the wheels onto the axles and started on the fireman side bearing blocks yesterday. The one axle on the far left has two eccentrics 180 degrees apart for the water pumps.
wheels and axles.JPG
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Machined the bearing blocks this past weekend. My design is a little different than what John's shows on his plans, I decided to make bearing blocks that completely encloses the bearings. The bearing blocks also allowed me to incorporated roller thrust bearings to take the axial load created by the bevel gears.

In the Mill, blocks where trued up and the bearing centers located using a center drill. Next I moved to the Lathe and centered the blocks to bore out for the bearings.
centering for boring.JPG
Boring for the bearings (both radial and axial bearings)
boring for bearings.JPG
Machining for the seat for the spring.
machining for spring.JPG
Machining the corner radius to match the radius in the journal casting.
machining corner radius.JPG
Finished bearing blocks.
bearing blocks complete.JPG
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Assembly of the trucks
truck fireman side.JPG
Truck gear side.JPG
both trucks.JPG
I still have to makes the lower cross bars and the top diagonal bars.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Finished the top cross bars. Lima bent the ends of the bars over the side arch bars. I tried to duplicate that detail in my model.
top cross bar.jpg
It is a little tough to see in the photo.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Looking great...not long now before you will have it running.

John B
Bill Hanks

Post by Bill Hanks »

G'day Everyone,
I've just signed up to this forum having viewed it a number of times.
I recently purchased all of the castings and drawings for the 20 Ton Shay from John Buckwalter, I find that your various comments and methods most informative and will be of great benefit avoiding potential pitfalls. I'm underway with the engine unit and making good use of my vertical mill; the DRO is fantastic for its accuracy and makes drilling circles of holes a breeze. As I progress I'll make contributions to forum about things that you may not have yet covered. I look forward to the journey.
Regards,
Bill.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Well, it's been a while since I have posted any progress, and there is good reason for that. It seems that my wife and I came to the conclusion that we will need an Engineer to run the shay. So.... my wife gave birth to our first child on October 16th.

Connor Louis Hilgert
IMG_1509.JPG
He was a little early but is growing like a weed and is doing well now.

Between taking care of Junior and getting sleep when we can... I still managed to get down to the shop every once in a while.

I managed to finish the bearings for the side shafts.
IMG_1542.JPG
The following is a photo of the test fit, I still had to machine the flats the on one side for the bearing cover.
IMG_1543.JPG
I also managed to finish the brake hangers. I modeled this off of a Lima drawing that I had.
IMG_1598.JPG
Last edited by Brian Hilgert on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Bill Hanks wrote:G'day Everyone,
I've just signed up to this forum having viewed it a number of times.
I recently purchased all of the castings and drawings for the 20 Ton Shay from John Buckwalter, I find that your various comments and methods most informative and will be of great benefit avoiding potential pitfalls. I'm underway with the engine unit and making good use of my vertical mill; the DRO is fantastic for its accuracy and makes drilling circles of holes a breeze. As I progress I'll make contributions to forum about things that you may not have yet covered. I look forward to the journey.
Regards,
Bill.
Welcome Aboard Bill, If you have any questions, Feel free to ask.
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Congrats, Brian! Glad to hear that all is going well with the new "Project". ;) And, good to see you continue to make progress on the Shay.

Todd
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Thanks Todd, He is a real joy!

I spent some time this last weekend boring out the spur gears.
IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
The next step is machining the boss that will be pressed and tig welded into the gear.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

I finished the bosses last night. I made them with a .001" interference fit. I'm debating if I should Tig weld around the one end or drill and use a Dutch key.
IMG_1635.JPG