2-1/2" NG class A shay.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

mikeminton

Re: 2-1/2" NG class A shay.

Post by mikeminton »

I love the 3d printed number plate. I was thinking of CNC for my Ulin Shay but after seeing how nice that turned out, I will follow your path.

I had not been thinking of wrapping the firebox but your work there is also inspirational.

Mike
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Brian Hilgert wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:07 am Hi Tristan,
Let me know if you would like a file and/or link to the number plate for your shay. It was only around $100 with the gold plating, I think more like $70 if you go with a natural SS/Bronze infused color. (through Shapeways) Since I have the model finished, I can easly change the front number if you would like. Just let me know.
Number plate.JPG
Thanks,
B
Thanks Brian! I’d be interested in the file, I don’t have a number or date in mind just yet but I’m going to need a number plate at some point.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Hello All,
It been a long time since I have updated this build post... too long. I continue to work on the Shay when time allows. The one feature that I really wanted to capture was the dome bases, the shay (at least the one I am modeling) had very large dome base castings. I decided to replicate these out of Aluminum. Before I hit the go button with a nice big chunk of expensive aluminum, I tested the program on a wood blank.
IMG_2671.JPG
I'm glad I did because there was a glitch with the drip feed.
IMG_2672.JPG
Once I fixed the Drip feed issue, I glued some wood in to fill the Oops and re-ran the program
IMG_2678.JPG
I was happy on how the wood test piece came out so I mounted the 8" dia chunk of aluminum in, said a little prayer and hit the go button.
IMG_2914.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG
Many hours later, I was happy with the results.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Same as with the Sand dome base
IMG_2923.JPG
And in aluminum
IMG_3069.JPG
I still have to do some light machining and machine the diameter so that they sit on the boiler.. but the hard part is done.

A little side Project that I had fun building was the cab out of foam board. I wanted to see how much access I had in the cab. When I was laying it out, I kept checking my math, This thing is bigger than I expected.
IMG_3203.JPG
IMG_3202.JPG
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Another update, The following pictures show the construction of the Bell. The documents that I have show that the 20 ton shay (the one that I am modeling) used a 50lb bell. I started with the harp, modeled it in cad, and created tool paths.

Once again, I used wood as a test before I ruin an expensive chunk of brass. The following shows the wood test piece being machined.
Harp wood.jpg
Once I was happy with the program, I pre-machined certain critical dimensions, mounted in the fixture, and hit the go button.
Harp Brass 1.jpg
After the one side was machined, I flipped it over and hit the go button again.
Harp Brass 2.jpg
I have to admit, It is not the prettiest harp, it does not have the flowing curves as other harps have. I have the actual Lima drawing for the bell and harp and I decided to go the prototypical route instead of using another design.

More to come on the bell and other goodies.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

very cool!
Just curious, what type of CNC machine do you have? does it take a while to program it?
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

My CNC is an old, worn out,Tree Journeyman 325, but it does what I need it to do. I can program it in conversational mode (Like G-code), but most of the time, I design the part in Inventor and create the toolpaths in Fusion 360. The hardest part for me was the handshake and drip feed from the computer to the CNC, it took awhile for "me" to figure it out. As for if it takes me long to program…Not really, but I am constantly playing with the program to try and get the best results.

Thanks
B
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

The following shows how I machined the bell. Once again, I used the old cnc mill. The bell is perfect for a cnc lathe but you use what you got.

First, I machined the inside
Bell1.jpg
Flip it around and hit the go button
Bell2.jpg
Bell3.jpg
Once All the Machining was completed, I mounted the Bell in the lathe for finishing and polishing
Bell Polishing.jpg
Next is the bell lever
Bell Lever.jpg
Assembled
Bell Lever assembled.jpg
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Ringer, Top Nut, and finished bell
Bell Ringer.jpg
Bell Ringer 2.jpg
I used a homemade radius cutting tool to machine the ball
Bell top ball.jpg
Bell top ball 2.jpg
Bell Finished.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Beautiful!
RussN
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Some other goodies

The Boiler plate that my dad photoetched.
Boiler Plate.jpg
Build Plate that goes on the smoke box. I had this 3D printed in Stainless Steel. It was designed with the curvature to match the smokebox because you can not bend the printed SS piece. Unfortunately, due to the curvature, the final printed piece had steps in it. I did my best to reduce the look of the steps with a Dremel.... but darn, that printed SS is hard. I'm hoping that once I put some black paint on it, you wouldn't notice the steps as bad.
Build plate.jpg
Tri-cock funnel - I just turned this on the lathe, drilled out the inside and ran the endmill down the center, The top is a separate piece that I soldered on.
funnel.jpg
Hand rail sanctions
Hand rail stan.jpg
Hand rail stan 2.jpg
Bell Harp stand off. The bell harp mounts to this piece and this piece mounts to the boiler. The Steam pipe for the turret and throttle rod goes though this.
Harp mount.jpg
rmac

Post by rmac »

Really nice work. All of it.