Erie K5a Pacific

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Brian Tusin

Re: Erie K5a Pacific

Post by Brian Tusin »

I got a good amount done this weekend. The trailing truck axle and wheels were finished, the pedistol binders were finishe for the trailing truck, I started on the suspension for the trailing truck, and the tires were applied to the wheels. That was a lot of fun heating up the tires and then putting them onto the wheels. Here are some pics.

Brian
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Looking good Brian!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

I got the trailing truck just about finished this weekend. All that is left to do is make the roller rockers. I am going to leave those for a little later. Hopefully I will start on the frames next weekend. Here is a picture of all of the wheels together. Today was the monthly meeting at NEOLS, so I took all I had done for display.

Brian
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

I have not done an update in a while but I have been making progress. There were two weekends in February where I did not work on the engine at all, I did need a break. I have the frame together at this point. I have to make a new front frame spreader, other then that the frame is done. I do have a cast iron one to machine from Mike V. The aluminum one is one I got with a Atlantic frame awhile ago. The cradle does need a couple holes drilled in it for boiler mounts but I am going to wait to do that till I get the boiler from Marty Knox.

Last weekend besides finishing the cradle and getting the frame together I also got the drive wheel springs done, I just have to assemble them. Hopefully by the end of April the engine will be sitting on all of its wheels with suspension and the cylinders. Hopefully by the end of May into June the boiler will be mounted onto the chassis. Here are some pictures. Again thanks to Brian Keim for allowing me to use his shop and for his help and advice. I also have to thank Mike Venezia and Marty Knox, I have been bugging both of them a lot with questions and they are always willing to help.

This was a really cool moment for me, seeing the chassis on wheels for the first time and being able to roll was very special.

Brian
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I've started work on Brian's boiler, along with 3 other Little Engines Pacific boilers. Here are some pictures of sawing the shells. We do them in pairs to save material, cutting halfway through with the bandsaw, then joining the cuts with the plasma cutter. The bandsaw is a Wells - the whole frame moves vertically rather than in an arc.
Attachments
IMG_3305.JPG
IMG_3310.JPG
IMG_3312.JPG
IMG_3315.JPG
IMG_3316.JPG
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

That's a damned good idea, Marty!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Andypullen wrote:That's a damned good idea, Marty!

Andy
Thanks, Andy!
10" pipe at $86 a foot, 15" or 1 1/4 feet is over $100.
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Thanks for the pictures Marty! I can't wait to see it come together.

No progress on the Pacific this weekend. My body decided it wanted to get sick Friday night. Funny thing is I woke up Saturday morning and I was fine, then after a couple hours I felt like crap again. Today I am feeling much better so hopefully progress will continue next weekend.

Brian
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

We've continued work on the boiler by putting the shell in the mill to drill and countersink the holes. We also cut out and drilled the side sheets and hollow stays.
Attachments
IMG_3322.JPG
IMG_3327.JPG
IMG_3331.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Hollow stays? Now that might be a first for the hobby.

Jim Kreider
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Thanks Marty, it is looking great!
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

JKreider wrote:Hollow stays? Now that might be a first for the hobby.

Jim Kreider
I've used them before, Jim. I put them in so you can hold the bracket for the arch. Just one each side, made from 3/4" dia. drilled for a 3/8" bolt.