Erie K5a Pacific

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

hwboivin3

Re: Erie K5a Pacific

Post by hwboivin3 »

Interesting...... I heard you had a neat way of mounting the arch. Can't wait to see it.

Everything looks great so far.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Brian decided to let me machine the tires on the drivers since I have fixtures and the heavy duty lathe to make short work of them. I got them done over the weekend. They will be reassembled and delivered at Cabin Fever. Attached are 2 pics of the drivers.

Also attached is a pic of one of the cylinders mounted on the shaper/drilling fixture. The mounting face is planed first to get the dimension to the bore center correct. I purchased some hardened steel wedges from McMaster to help me get the casting lined up. Using the LE prints and the actual castings; I drew the cylinder mounted on the fixture up in CAD so I knew what dimensions I had to hold the get the angles correct and the bores in proper relation to each other. The fixture was made because I want to use the LE Pacific cylinders for my 2-8-0, too.

The exhaust port is tapped for 9/16-12. The cylinders will be bored and faced in my Reed Prentice lathe on a faceplate with an angle plate. The exhaust port is shown as 1/2" diameter and the 9/16" thread works out perfectly so the casting can be bolted to the angle plate solidly in addition to the 1/4"-20 tapped holes and dowel pin holes. There is also another pair of holes in there that will be tapped for 5/16"-18...they won't be used when bolting the cylinder to the saddle. I want to make sure nothing moves in the lathe. I'll post pics when they get into the lathe.

Andy Pullen
Attachments
K-5 driver.jpg
K-5 drivers.jpg
K-5 cylinder.jpg
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Some more pictures of Brian's boiler. Rear Tube Sheet, Door Sheet, Inner Firebox, Dry Pipe to Turret
Attachments
IMG_3364.JPG
IMG_3365.JPG
IMG_3366.JPG
IMG_3367.JPG
IMG_3368.JPG
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

Is the dry pipe to the turret on a "Tee" to the throttle's dry pipe as well?
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

jschoenly wrote:Is the dry pipe to the turret on a "Tee" to the throttle's dry pipe as well?
Yes it is Jared. It's a 1/2" pipe tee, with a 1/2" pipe dry pipe to the throttle. The dry pipe to the turret is 1/4" pipe, per the customer's request.
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

Clean. I wasn't sure what was standard practice with that or if it would affect anything on the turret. With 1/2" going front I assume not. Cool, Thanks for the pictures!
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

We are trying to finish Brian's boiler for Cabin Fever. Even if it isn't finished I will bring it to display. Here are some pictures from this afternoon. First is the shell on the jackstands. Next is a view of the inside of the outer firebox, showing the through stays and first welding pass. Third is the backhead, then the front tubesheet. Last is the inner firebox.
Attachments
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3379.JPG
IMG_3381.JPG
IMG_3383.JPG
IMG_3384.JPG
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

It looks AWESOME Marty!!! Even if it is not finished I can't wait to see it!!

I have made some progress on the Pacific in the past couple weeks. One weekend I did not work on the Pacific, instead I did some work to my 3/4 inch Mogul, although it is still not ready to be put back together. Here are some pictures.

Machining the front valve gear supports.

The finished pieces mounted on the frame. They were not hard to machine at all, they did take awhile. There was a lot of material to be removed.

Machining the pilot beam.

I don't have any pictures of this, but I did finish the main springs, the rods that go from the springs to the equalizers, and the sway rod bracket that goes between the front frame spreader and the pilot beam. My current goal is to have all the wheels under the chassis and the spring rigging complete by mid May.

Brian
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Here are some pictures from this afternoon. We may not have it finished and tested, but I will be displaying Brian's boiler at Cabin Fever.
Attachments
IMG_3398.JPG
IMG_3404.JPG
IMG_3408.JPG
IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3409.JPG
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Marty,

In the third picture that you posted in your previous post. The stay that is appearing in the top left of the picture looks to be hollow, is that correct, or are my eyes deceiving me? The follow up question would be why is it hollow?
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

redneckalbertan wrote:Marty,

In the third picture that you posted in your previous post. The stay that is appearing in the top left of the picture looks to be hollow, is that correct, or are my eyes deceiving me? The follow up question would be why is it hollow?
Yes, it is hollow, 3/4" OD and 3/8" ID. It is hollow so the bolt that holds the bracket for the arch can go through it. I don't like welding brackets to the inside of the firebox.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

That's a good idea. Is there another hollow stay in the crown sheet to hold up the back of the back of the arch?or do you just use the 2 hollow stays on the bottom of the arch?