Erie K5a Pacific

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Re: Erie K5a Pacific

Post by Marty_Knox »

redneckalbertan wrote:That's a good idea. Is there another hollow stay in the crown sheet to hold up the back of the back of the arch?or do you just use the 2 hollow stays on the bottom of the arch?
I don't think I would put a hollow stay through the crownsheet. The bolts through the hollow stay hold the brackets that support the arch.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Marty_Knox wrote:
redneckalbertan wrote:That's a good idea. Is there another hollow stay in the crown sheet to hold up the back of the back of the arch?or do you just use the 2 hollow stays on the bottom of the arch?
I don't think I would put a hollow stay through the crownsheet. The bolts through the hollow stay hold the brackets that support the arch.
The boiler looked great Marty!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

My chassis on all of the wheels for the first time on Sunday.

At Cabin Fever I picked up the awesome boiler from Marty Knox. It looks great! I also got a few parts from Mike Venezia and got a large tender kit from Locoparts.

Brian
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Here's a pic of one of the cylinders boring. They are being done on my Reed Prentice lathe bolted to a plate on the rudimentary faceplate. I prefer to bore parts like this in the lathe because I am not limited by the quill travel that the mill has. The thickness of the casting is 5" and the quill travel on the mill is 5". It took a little while to get the faces parallel...thankfully, there is 1/4" on the thickness of the casting.

The casting is bolted to the fixture using the mounting bolt holes. Dowel pins make sure everything lines up the same way every time.

The boring bar is a solid carbide shanked insert bar. There is very little chatter even with it hanging out 6 1/2". The insert is a WNMG-431.

The big proper faceplate for the lathe should be here today. I found a 14" one on ebay to fit my spindle. I have some RR Supply Mikado cylinders to run next.

Andy Pullen
Attachments
cylinder boring.jpg
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Here are some updates on the Pacific. The suspension was finished this weekend and I also made the roller rockers for the rear truck. This was a very frustrating weekend working on the engine, the most so far, but Mike and Marty have to me it is part of building a steam engine. My goal at this point is to have the brake rigging done by the first weekend in June. Hopefully I will have my cylinders by mid next month so I will be able to get the boiler on it. The goal is to have the boiler in place on the chassis by the end of June and hopefully be running on air by the end of July.

Brian
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

After not having done much on the engine lately I did finally finish the brake rigging two weekends ago. Between going to the Pioneer Valley Live Steamers twice, Montreal Live Steamers once, putting my 3/4 inch Mogul back together, and acquiring a Railroad Supply 4-4-0 the Pacific sort of took a back seat. I did need a break from the engine though. I was getting burnt out from pretty much working on the engine each weekend from late November to early May. The brake rigging is finished and I am glad to have that done! It was easy, just a lot of small boring parts to make.

Hopefully this week I will get the cylinder saddle and smokebox from Andy Pullen. He has sent me some pictures and he is doing a great job on them. As soon as I get those I can mount the smokebox on the Bridgeport and cut the Elesco Feedwater Heater ditch and make the heater. Sometime this month I want to paint all the parts done so far and get everything reassembled.

Brian
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Looks great Brian! Indeed it is healthy to take a break. I can relate to that!

Harry
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

The past two weekends I took the engine apart and painted it. I got it all back together. All that is left to do is put the brake rigging back under the engine. This past week I also got the cylinder saddle and smoke box from Andy Pullen. They look really nice! Here are some pics. The last picture is my friend Brian Keim turning down pipe for the Elesco Feedwater heaters for our Pacific's. He is also rebuilding his Pacific currently. You can see the two new Ridge Locomotive Works boilers behind my chassis.

Brian
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

I have not done an update in a long time but have got a lot done.

Here the boiler was put on for the first time and the engine pushed around a track. Thankfully everything tracked like it should and there were no problems.

Turning the smoke box front.

Turning the smaller front door.

CNC machining the eccentric cranks.

Eccentric cranks.

Machining the smoke box for the Elesco heater ditch.

Feed water heater pics.

Baker Valve Gear bellcrank.

Image[/URL]

Finished side rods and almost finished smoke box front. Just have to add the dummy bolts, headlight, and bell. I also think I am going to make a more accurate headlight bracket. It will be very easy. Pretty much just a square plate with a headlight and number board bolted to it.

Brian
Last edited by Brian Tusin on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

That Pacific is really coming along nicely Brian!
jmurray

Post by jmurray »

Nice Brian..looks great!
C&O EMD F7A 24vdc Locomotive(Museum Trains)
Chessie diesel switcher(5hp Free lance design) 0-4-0
Pine Grove Vineyards Davenport (Ride-Trains)Switcher 0-4-0
Wolf Run and Tambine Clishay 0-4-4-0(Bob Maynard design)
Mack Loco
http://www.neols.net (NorthEastern Ohio Live Steamers)
hondavt@windstream.net
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Brian,
Please bear with me, as I am not versed on the engine you are building (which looks great!), but I am curious.
Is there a reason drivers are of mixed design? I'm making reference to the spoke and boxpok mix.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.