Erie K5a Pacific

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Brian Tusin

Re: Erie K5a Pacific

Post by Brian Tusin »

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Harold,
The Erie slowly changed the drivers on the K5's and K5a's from spoked drivers to box pox. There were times where the engines had a combination of the two. My box pox wheels are not perfectly correct, but I am fine with it. Here is a pic of one. http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/erie-s2935lbf.jpg

Brian
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Will the feed water heater be functional or a dummy?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Brian. That thought had crossed my mind, but I had no clue. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Not a problem Harold.

The feedwater heaters will have water flow through them, but will not heat the water at this time. It could be made to work down the road. Brian Keim designed and built the feedwater heaters for our Pacific's right to scale.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Brian Tusin wrote:The Erie slowly changed the drivers on the K5's and K5a's from spoked drivers to box pox. There were times where the engines had a combination of the two. My box pox wheels are not perfectly correct, but I am fine with it. Here is a pic of one. http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/erie-s2935lbf.jpg

Brian
Brian...the locomotive really look great!
Just one tiny little point, the drivers aren't box pox, they are Boxpok, and that is pronounced like "Box Spoke" because the spokes have a box like cross section.

Keith
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Well I have not updated the thread in a while. I have been working on the engine pretty much non stop. Yesterday the engine ran for the first time. No real issues were encountered, and the engine did really well for the first run. Here is a picture of my friend Brian Keim running the engine. The tender being used is from his Northern as I have not started on mine yet. The next project for me on the engine is the tender. I will run it for this season with the temporary plumbing and with out a jacket, but this winter I will take it back apart to nickel plate the valve gear, put the jacket on the engine, and finish detailing the engine.

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Brian....it looks great! In fact I can see it roaring past WJ Tower at Ridgewood Jct. on the Erie Mainline. (Ridgewood Jct. is where the Bergen County freight cut off leaves the Erie mainline in northern New Jersey)

Keith
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

Brian: great to see her in steam,as to the feed water heater ,keep it dummy,no need to make it work on a model,just a pain when it comes to winter shut down. As you run her you will fing that boiler will make all the steam you can ever use!!
Great jog
Joe
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

All I can say is, DUDE!

July 2013 to now and your running? You da man! 8) I thought 4 years was fast for my build. I realize you got a lot more work to do but man that is quite an achievement.

I too was dumping time in at the end. I was coming home from my day job then working from 6pm to 10pm every night and about 12 hours on the weekends for about 6 months straight. Things go pretty fast when you have the time to devote to it.

Congrats.

Ken-
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Brian Tusin wrote:Well I have not updated the thread in a while. I have been working on the engine pretty much non stop. Yesterday the engine ran for the first time. No real issues were encountered, and the engine did really well for the first run. Here is a picture of my friend Brian Keim running the engine. The tender being used is from his Northern as I have not started on mine yet. The next project for me on the engine is the tender. I will run it for this season with the temporary plumbing and with out a jacket, but this winter I will take it back apart to nickel plate the valve gear, put the jacket on the engine, and finish detailing the engine.
Ah yes, borrowing tenders, my first run was with the tender from my dad's cab-forward. Later Vic Owens borrowed my GS-1 tender to test run his GS-4. Amazing how that works.

Looking good.

Donald
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Thanks for the compliments guys.

After a hard 5 days of running I am extremely happy with how the engine did. No break downs, and it well exceeded my expectations. The engine can pull a ton and has an extremely loud stack talk. Now to do a few little other odds and ends on the engine and build the tender.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Brian Tusin wrote:Now to do a few little other odds and ends on the engine and build the tender.
Brian.....next time build the tender first! :)

Keith