First locomotive build ~ Kozo a3 narrow gauge bash

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

KidAmato

Re: First locomotive build ~ Kozo a3 narrow gauge bash

Post by KidAmato »

Kvom,
Yes, I plan to use steel. I personally don't have the budget for ALL brass. I think I will stick to brass for the trucks, but come the tender frame, I will use steel.

Best wishes,
Nico A.
7-1/2” gauge 5” scale 2-4-4t
7-1/2” gauge Fitchburg Northern
4-3/4” gauge 1.5” scale 0-4-4t
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

I'm doing the same thing with the tender frame. I've already got the steel for it. I spent the weekend on yard work, and building an assembly bench in my shop. So, I haven't gotten to drilling and tapping the holes on the journal boxes.

Keep plugin' away, Nico.

Regards,
Todd
Eric M.

Post by Eric M. »

Nico,

Congratulations on a really great start to a wonderful project. I am honored to have served in some small way as an inspiration with my O.S. Krauss Americanization/narrow-gauge bash. The A3 has so much wonderful potential as a basis for a really fantastic narrow gauge engine in 1.5" scale. I'm sure you will find this scale/gauge combo to be quite pleasing. I will be watching with great interest as you progress.

By the way, I'm not sure if I ever answered you about my source for poplar wood that I used on the cab and tender frame of my locomotive. Poplar is a really common hardwood used for structural parts in cabinetry. You can easily buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. Poplar has a lot of grain variation from board to board so you may have to dig to find some nice tightly grained pieces that will look good on a model locomotive.

As for the tender length question, you could always make extended controls or consider a short 2-axle tender like I made (perfectly acceptable and prototypical on an industrial loco and you would have 2 leftover wheelsets for another piece of rolling stock.)

Regards,
Eric Maschwitz
Head of Operations, Squirrel Mountain Mine
Former Whistle Punk,
Gunn Lake Land and Lumber, a subsidiary of East Devils Hill Lumber Co
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Hey Nico,

I might suggest that you look at this topic http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =8&t=96307 . UKlocoNut has been designing this to mostly use A3 or Raritan parts. It comes with the 2 axle tender and I could easily see it being of a narrow gauge design. Might be something worth looking at and considering if you do not have an exact idea or prototype to follow yet.
3/4" scale LBSC Bantam Cock
3/4" scale B4 project (re-designed LBSC Juliet)
- Stuart T. Harrod -
KidAmato

Post by KidAmato »

Hello everyone,
Thank you all for showing such enthusiasm and sharing such kind words. It really keeps me going on this build...

Eric,
You have definitely inspired me a lot. When I first saw your progress, I was left with my jaw touching the floor. I immediately thought "I have to have one." I was honestly impressed to see that a small 3.5" gauge engine could be converted to such a large scale, but I must say you pulled it off with quite some amazing work.

Stuie,
Funny you should mention about prototype, I have been sitting this whole time contemplating what I wanted the locomotive to look like. I chose that I would freelance the locomotive.

Todd,
Glad to hear you are making progress! Keep at it!

I have been working on a drawing of the locomotive and tender these past few days (time allowing with homework). It is not a random sketch. I have drawn everything in 1/4 scale. Now that I have an idea of what I want, its back to making some chips. I will be ordering the brass for the columns and bolsters on the tender trucks either tonight or tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Nico A.
7-1/2” gauge 5” scale 2-4-4t
7-1/2” gauge Fitchburg Northern
4-3/4” gauge 1.5” scale 0-4-4t