Kozo K-27 build thread

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Kozo K-27 build thread

Post by Harold_V »

dalemast wrote:Yes that is a thought that I have to ,but every thing is adjustable so we will see .
I fear our astute young reader is right. If you don't pre-arch the springs, or if they are made from annealed material, they'll take on a negative set. Of that there is no doubt, unless they do not carry any weight. You won't have the option of adjusting away that problem.

While there are (life threatening) hazards in its use, beryllium copper is a great choice for springs, as they can be preformed to the desired configuration, then heat treated, all without effort.

No, I do not advise that be your material of choice. Just commenting that there are solutions to such problems.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
vlnmkr

Post by vlnmkr »

Be advised that some locomotives were designed to have a negative spring camber, specifically the Milwaukee Road class A Hiawatha Atlantics. This however is not the case with the K-27.

M. Becker
violinmaker
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

If you don't pre-arch the springs, or if they are made from annealed material, they'll take on a negative set. Of that there is no doubt, unless they do not carry any weight
Spring steel can be rolled to the correct set then cut. I made the springs for my mogul that way and cut them with a chop saw and drilled with carbide bits.

John B.
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Nice work everyone, quite some progress made!

Can't wait to start on this myself. But I'm kind of stuck in the scramble all the material phase. Seem impossible enough to find large enough chunks of flat bar for the frames and 9mm flat bar just don't exist here.

I just got the issue with the brakes and rigging and could help my self thinking of changing the "hand brakes"-system to a more realistic approach using air or steam to operate the brakes. Or what about just using boiler water, like Dave Sclavi used to operate his power reverser for his K-4?
Anyone else sharing these thoughts?
Patrik
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

I haven't posted here in a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy..
I didn't want to make the cylinders for the K-27 the way that Kozo showed us how to do in LS&ORR magazine.. I decided to make them from a solid chunk of cast iron..
Here are a few pics showing the chain of events, from bandsawing out the rough blanks, to machining the flats, to boring the cylinder and valve bores, then CNC'ing the cylinder shape, and so on..
Attachments
bandsaw.jpg
Kflat.jpg
Kbore1.jpg
Kbore2.jpg
Last edited by JohnHudak on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

And more pictures...
Attachments
Krough1.jpg
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

and the final two, I'm very happy with the way they turned out, I'm going to try and shoot the tapped holes in this week, can't wait to get them bolted on the frame...!
Attachments
photo4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

nothing like a big (couple) of heavy chunks of CI to lead a loco down the track!

looks really good and was probably less work than fabricating!

good to know you are still plugging along :lol:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Very impressive work, John. They look really good.

Todd
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

JohnHudak wrote:and the final two, I'm very happy with the way they turned out,
You should be. Very nice! :wink:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

John,

Excellent job and a hell of a lot less work! Ironically that is how Kozo did it on the A3 albeit those were slide valves...

keep it up

Ken-
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

kenrinc wrote:John,

Excellent job and a hell of a lot less work! Ironically that is how Kozo did it on the A3 albeit those were slide valves...

keep it up

Ken-
Thanks Ken, I just thought that it would be easier to do them this way, taking nothing away from Kozos method.. But I have around 15 hrs in these so far, I bet I'd be double that to get to the same point "fabbing" them...
John