Kozo K-27 build thread

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Kozo K-27 build thread

Post by Pipescs »

It would also seem that in making all the parts for assembly there would be more chance of mistakes in alignment, where this method ensures the cylinders and valves are aligned.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Michel Richard

Post by Michel Richard »

My K-27 running on air.
Not absolutely sure this will work, but here's the link to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mo1AEkhmJc

Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Looking Good...
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Looks great Michel!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Great to see all the fine work being done on the K-27 engines. I hope to see them all run someday on the Alcalde & Coalfield high line.
Jack
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Does anyone know what the cylinder castings weigh for these k27s, and what scale is this in?

Anyone know what the weight of the full size locomotives cylinders weigh? What would only one side weigh?

I was offered an 200 lb. melt capacity, coke fired, iron furnace. I'm thinking about which cylinders and in which scales I could cast cylinders for.

Thanks for your help.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Kozo's cylinders are built up brass/bronze like everything else he has made. There aren't patterns available.

200 pound melt capacity would make a lot of cylinders.

Andy Pullen

PS, I have a pattern for the proper drivers. With the counterweights.
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Hi,
I have been following this Kozo k27 build and this a neat project. I was wondering if anybody has looked @ the boiler design. The thin sheet 2mm and the low boiler pressure, seems odd to me. They talk about making too much steam? Open the fire door, blow the whistle, turn on injector that will take care of too much steam problems. 73 lbs. pretty wet. I would go with 3mm (1/8") for the whole job and 6" copper tube (act. 6 1/8") standard tube, which is readily available. This would eliminate any laps. this would hydro at 150 lbs. 100lbs. working pressure. Now, back to work. :lol:
steamer
dalemast

Post by dalemast »

Here is my boiler
IMG_0092.JPG
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

steamingdon wrote:Hi,
I have been following this Kozo k27 build and this a neat project. I was wondering if anybody has looked @ the boiler design. The thin sheet 2mm and the low boiler pressure, seems odd to me. They talk about making too much steam? Open the fire door, blow the whistle, turn on injector that will take care of too much steam problems. 73 lbs. pretty wet. I would go with 3mm (1/8") for the whole job and 6" copper tube (act. 6 1/8") standard tube, which is readily available. This would eliminate any laps. this would hydro at 150 lbs. 100lbs. working pressure. Now, back to work. :lol:
I had correspondence with Kozo on those very issues. He doesn't realize we're a nation of hot rodders, we want everything bigger, better, and faster!
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Very nice looking boiler Marty. After reading Kozo's build plans for it, that is quite an accomplishment to get one built.

Rob
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I didn't build that boiler, Dale did.