Kozo K-27 build thread

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JohnHudak

Kozo K-27 build thread

Post by JohnHudak »

Here's a place where we can post photos of the Kozo K-27 build. I'll start off with some pics of the tender frame. There's a group of three or four of us who decided that we would get a start on the tender, and work on it while we're waiting between issues. We figured that if we just build to the same scale as Kozo, there shouldn't be any problem matching up with the locomotive.. We got the prints for it from several model RR magazines (I don't remember the dates right now) We're using the 1" scale caboose trucks from Despatch RR as they have leaf springs like the D&RGW has on the tender.. Stephen sold us the kits minus the wheels, axles, and bolsters, which were the wrong size for what we needed...
The pics are of the tender frames, along with the riveted angles. I started off with 1/4" x 1"x 24" brass rectangle, and milled out the center to give it the look of channel.. At present I'm working on the cranks, and the crank pins.. After that I'll get started on the axle boxes, and the axles....
John
Attachments
DSCN1026.JPG
DSCN1023.JPG
DSCN1020.JPG
JohnHudak

Re: Kozo K-27 build thread

Post by JohnHudak »

Here's a pic of the crank pins, just finished yesterday.. Still lots more to do, and I'll probably start the axle boxes today..
John
Attachments
pins.pdf
(44.8 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
1235039_572015902834518_1955206074_n.jpg
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Nice work! What steel did you use?

Todd
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Hi Todd, Thanks... I used 1018CRS. I know Kozo said to use tool steel but I used what I had on hand.. Working on the axle boxes now, and hope to finish them up by the weekend...
John
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Thanks, John. How did the axle boxes turn out?

Todd
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

SilverSanJuan wrote:Thanks, John. How did the axle boxes turn out?

Todd
Todd, Actually I meant this coming weekend, but I'm milling the brass thickness for the axle boxes down to the correct metric size today. I am going to take some liberties with Kozos metric dimensioning, substituting English dimensions. A good example would be with the axles, I think .750 will work just fine instead of the 20mm diameter he stated, but of course the 174mm length must remain the same.. I'm figuring that the frame, spacers, axle boxes and generally anything that has to do with the "gauge" of the loco will remain metric.. I'm hoping to avoid a headache further down the road...
John
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

JohnHudak wrote:
SilverSanJuan wrote:Thanks, John. How did the axle boxes turn out?

Todd
Todd, Actually I meant this coming weekend, but I'm milling the brass thickness for the axle boxes down to the correct metric size today. I am going to take some liberties with Kozos metric dimensioning, substituting English dimensions. A good example would be with the axles, I think .750 will work just fine instead of the 20mm diameter he stated, but of course the 174mm length must remain the same.. I'm figuring that the frame, spacers, axle boxes and generally anything that has to do with the "gauge" of the loco will remain metric.. I'm hoping to avoid a headache further down the road...
John
I am also working on the journal boxes. I'm not using Kozo's method because the material I have was cut from some 5/8" thick discs of 660 bronze left over from a job from years ago. My axles are also going to be .75 where the wheels press onto them. The bearing diameter will be .718" and the diameter of the axle that presses into the cranks will be .688". I'm going to key mine because I don't trust loctite. I know....I'm probably going to get some flack for that comment. It's all in the prep....

The major dimensions will be made to match Kozo's so I don't have to re-engineer everything.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Thanks for that info, guys.

Is there any news on if/when Marty will be working on the drivers? Is there anyone else who might be supplying the drivers?

Regards,
Todd
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Andypullen wrote:I'm going to key mine because I don't trust loctite. I know....I'm probably going to get some flack for that comment. It's all in the prep....
No flack from me. I share your views, in spite of the fact I've used LocTite, and know it works.

It has been (and is) my opinion, --that if you have the necessary skill level to do the work without using glue, avoid its use. One achieves and maintains such skills by doing---which, if avoided, is soon lost.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Andy, I wouldn't think we'd need to use loctite anyway, the drivers can be press fit onto the axles, or shrink fit on for that matter.... The cranks are pinned after they are assembled..
John
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

SilverSanJuan wrote:Is there any news on if/when Marty will be working on the drivers? Is there anyone else who might be supplying the drivers?
Todd,

The guy making the master pattern for Marty seriously dropped the ball, so he only received the pattern recently. I would suspect that his foundry has it by now and is working on making copies and board mounting.

Cheers,
Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I am greatly anticipating following and learning from this thread. Is there anyone that knows how many editions the build will run in Live Steam?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)