Kozo K-27 build thread

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

Andypullen

Re: Kozo K-27 build thread

Post by Andypullen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:30 am

Here are 2 sets of tender wheels that have been roughed out on the first side. Side 2 is cutting in the Clausing while UP side rods are milling...

The dishes in the faces will be angled like the prototypes.

I have blanks sawn for 2 more sets. Anybody need a set? I'm reaming the axle hole 7/16"

Andy Pullen
Attachments
K-27 tender wheels.jpg
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw.

SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:43 am

Hi Andy,

How much for a set of blanks?

Another question for you experts. In the first article Kozo talks about his design of the trailing truck to help keep the minimum turn radius tight (~20'). Could the turning radius be further tightened by using blind drivers for the two center driver sets? Or, will the trailing truck still be the limiting factor?

Regards,
Todd

Andypullen

Post by Andypullen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:38 am

SilverSanJuan wrote:Hi Andy,

How much for a set of blanks?

Another question for you experts. In the first article Kozo talks about his design of the trailing truck to help keep the minimum turn radius tight (~20'). Could the turning radius be further tightened by using blind drivers for the two center driver sets? Or, will the trailing truck still be the limiting factor?

Regards,
Todd
Hi Todd,

I buy most of my material from here: http://accessmetalsinc.com/default.asp?iId=GFJGH I'd prefer you just purchase blanks from them. Their prices are very reasonable and they are live steamer friendly. I would have to mark them up.

I was thinking $100 for a machined set of 8 wheels.

Yes, you could go with blind tires....but, I would NOT do it. You will have problems with the wheels dropping off the rails. 20 foot radius is pretty tight....how tight to you want to go? With the trailing truck being rigid with the frame, you will be limited on the minimum radius anyway.

The prototypes are pretty sure footed and can run around a pretty sharp curve. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jzWOJSm69s Fast forward to about the 20 minute mark. I don't know what that curve radius is, but it is pretty sharp.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw.

Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:50 am

Andy, the trailing truck does articulate. Wild guessing looking at Kozo's and the 2 1/2" scale drawings the degree of motion is quite good. Agree, small radius corners (within reason) won't be an issue.

Mountaineer.

SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:07 am

Ah. Ok, I thought you were selling the blanks. :) I enjoy doing the machining work. I will check out Access Metals. I've been buying most of my stock from Online Metals and Speedy Metals.

Thanks for the advice on the blind drivers. I'm not sure yet what my tightest radius will be. I'll be setting up a track in my back yard. But, I still need to do the surveying to see what I have to work with. I think I'll be able to go up to 20' for any turns >90deg.

Todd

Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 am

The K-27's were originally built with the main and intermediate tires blind. There are a number of pictures of them upside-down where you can plainly see the blind tires. They pretty quickly put flanged tires on.

SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Marty_Knox wrote:The K-27's were originally built with the main and intermediate tires blind. There are a number of pictures of them upside-down where you can plainly see the blind tires. They pretty quickly put flanged tires on.
Thus the nickname "Mudhens" for ending up on the ground a lot. :)

Thanks, Marty. Two votes against blind drivers => No blind drivers for me. :)

Todd

Fender

Post by Fender » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:05 pm

Marty_Knox wrote:The K-27's were originally built with the main and intermediate tires blind. There are a number of pictures of them upside-down where you can plainly see the blind tires. They pretty quickly put flanged tires on.
Hmmm. Lots of pictures of them upside-down with blind flanges, and not so many pictures of them upside-down with all drivers flanged? Sounds like a strong correlation!
Dan Watson

sPUD42

Post by sPUD42 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:45 pm

K-27 Frame in Solidworks. The individual parts were pretty straight forward, the assembly was painful. Still have a lot more to learn. Enjoy.
Attachments
Kozo K-27 Frame.png

Andypullen

Post by Andypullen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:38 am

Here are the tender wheels...I purchased a stick of 3" diamter 1045 and sawed a bunch of blanks off of it. This is where they are right now. I'm just finishing them up. Breaking edges and radiusing the flanges and "front" edge of the tires.

Andy
Attachments
K-27 tender wheels2.jpg

Michel Richard

Post by Michel Richard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Got the Jan/Feb 2014 LS&ORR. Making the front truck, it looks like it's going to be pretty short work. Good thing, because I'm not done on the frame yet !
It's going to be interesting, though. I'll have time over the holidays and hope to make good progress.

I might even get to do a little more work on the tender, but I'm getting ahead of myself
:?

Michel

Largo

Post by Largo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Enjoying this thread. I just received my driver castings on Saturday, so I'll be joining in the odyssey before long.

I had one question - does a comprehensive bill of materials exist? As it is not easy to find metric sized stock, I'd just as soon order it all at once. Probably would save on shipping that way if nothing else.

Thanx,
Brian