Winnipeg Electric Company Streetcar 356

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Cary Stewart

Re: Winnipeg Electric Company Streetcar 356

Post by Cary Stewart »

Since this thread started I have been thinking about the problem. What I think might work would have been too late for Dianne's need but could work on new construction if planned for.
My thought is to use a tamboor door approach only in reverse. Cut strips of wood with the edges pre shaped then tack glue them to a piece of heavy paper but not at the edges where the wood meets. The wood strips would be face down on the paper so that when you apply the assembly to the curved sub surface and glue the paper and outer face of the strips would be facing outward. After the glue dries just carefully sand the paper backing off and finish.
Cary
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

The streetcar makes its debut this weekend at our club's 75th anniversary open house! The exterior is pretty much complete and it has had a few days of test-running and is performing fine so it is "going into revenue service" and hauling passengers.
SNB11894.JPG
Next winter it will get the interior installed along with the operating mechanism for the doors.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Sure looks Great Dianne. Good job on the windows and Scribed siding. Have a Great fun and Successful Open House and Revenue service day.
cheers.
chooch
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

KUDOS! If it runs as good as it looks, well, you know. Thanks for the stream of articles..
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Beautiful, Dianne. It should be a fun meet with you having something new. It sounds like a large contingent of St Croix members are heading up for it. Unfortunately I am staying home, trying to get my house painted before winter starts at the end of September.
John Brock
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Little 356 made its debut this weekend. It ran beautifully all day Friday (members & guests day). Saturday started well with the drizzle abating early and with Little 356 carrying passengers much of the morning (with me in my Motorman's attire) but by afternoon it was obvious that there was something wrong with the Motorman's car - it was dragging like the brakes were on so 356 was withdrawn from service in the afternoon.

Sunday morning the drizzle persisted and the crowds were non-existent so I loaded 356 up and headed home after lunch.

A quick inspection showed that one of the bronze bushings on the back axle of the Motorman's car had broken, probably from being overloaded with so many passengers. A bit of redesign and it should be back on the rails in a week or two.

The weather wasn't good and limited the crowds but it was a good weekend nonetheless.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Well Dianne, might have been a little rough going but, still sounds like overall you had a good event (time) and successful runs with Little 356.
I`ll bet you got Many "oohs and ahs" over 356.
chooch
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Well it was a marvellous summer with 356! It ran every other weekend all summer with only minor deficiencies, like setscrews working loose in the driven sprockets and I am looking forward to bringing the body inside to begin the interior detailing in the near future (as soon as I finish major renovation on my second floor!) and adding some weight to the chassis for better tractive effort.

The trucks on the Motorman's car were changed from ones with bushings to ball bearings and a speedometer was added to the Motorman's car adding an interesting challenge to operating - trying to maintain uniform speed over the grades.

When work resumes on the project, I will update this thread again.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Dianne, you probably already know this but, for others and General Info there are 7 different type of Set Screws as shown with this McMaster-Carr link.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=up7mr3
Sometimes if you insert one set screw on top of the first one that helps to prevent some loosening
I always file or lightly grind a flat spot on a Shaft where the set screw will sit. If it loosens, that helps to keep a
wheel from totally turning on a shaft for at least a while.
Also, if I can, make a mark on a shaft using the set screw where it will go, remove the part and screw, and drill a little Dimple so the end of the set screw will fit in the Dimple. Just another way to keep things in place.
An example of a set screw that would fit in a dimple is shown on the McMaster link page. Cone shaped.

You can always use light liquid like clear nail polish hardener. some glue or such that just Clogs the thread but will not be as hard to remove the set screw as Locktite.
Hope this helps.
chooch