Winnipeg Electric Company Streetcar 356

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

DianneB

Winnipeg Electric Company Streetcar 356

Post by DianneB »

I suppose I may as well throw my project into the mix along with the others (now that I have got back to it!)

About a year ago I decided I wanted to build something electric and decided on doing WECo. 356 streetcar in 7.5" gauge, 1.5" scale and spent a number of months designing and building the trucks before I got side-tracked on a 1.5" scale L.E. American (that kept me busy for 3 months isolating and fixing various problems). Just a week ago I got the trucks mounted on the 1/2 steel plate sub-chassis and had a chance to take it to the track for a test run. It performed beautifully so I have finally started on the wooden car body.

I chart the progress on the streetcar on my Web page
http://www.diannebest.com/Projects/Stre ... 20356.html
but will try to remember to post here as well.

This isn't my first project. The first was a 1/2 scale model of an 1887 Russell 10HP traction engine in 1995/96, followed by a water wagon and Waterloo threshing machine to complete the set. That was followed my a 1/3 scale Civil War 6 Pound cannon (which fires a 1" round ball) before I quit building because I was running out of room! The addiction caught up to me again and I started on the streetcar and I am already thinking ahead to the next model! :?
Attachments
WECo #356
WECo #356
redneckalbertan

Re: Winnipeg Electric Company Streetcar 356

Post by redneckalbertan »

DianneB wrote:This isn't my first project. The first was a 1/2 scale model of an 1887 Russell 10HP traction engine in 1995/96, followed by a water wagon and Waterloo threshing machine to complete the set.
Operating scale threshing machine?
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, redneck, open the home site and see the work.

Even the gun carriage wheels have 14 spokes, that is correct for the Civil war pieces. Kudos!

I have a 1969 Case 310 gas crawler, that has been on hold for awhile. Looks similar to that beastie. I got it with the 23 ft tri-axle trailer my now past Bud sold me. It was used in a graveyard all its life, and when it threw a rod, they used it 2 more years with all the dust gettin in the hole in the crankcase. It now has 4 sleeves and a fitted patch to the lower block casting, as it missed all the jackets. My idiot son wants to scrap it. (its not a Bobcat!). It used to be a Level track, or Lever track or whatever. The rear swivel joints are welded solid, so the tracks run parallel and dont need the springs and forward suspension. It s a nice small loader. (sigh) Someday.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Right on! It's always more entertaining to watch machines work than sit there!
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

redneckalbertan wrote:Operating scale threshing machine?
Yes sir, it works. When I take it to an Ag Fair, the old timers come along and dip up a hand full of grain to see how clean it is. Then they go back behind and root through the straw pile to see how much grain went out with the straw. They are amazed that the 1/2 scale Waterloo 24-36 works as good as any machine ever built, full size or model!
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

It's really looking good Dianne. looking forward to see te body take shape.

Pamela
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Very nice, you've picked a beautiful prototype as well. Looking forward to it. I'd like to build an electric somethingorother some day. Always thought it would be fun to make a PCC car with a fiberglass / composite body.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

After a lot of P.I.T.A. woodwork, I got the first wall up on the streetcar today. Now that I have figure out what works and what is a waste of time, the second wall should be easier. Then I can start all over again on the fun part, the ELLIPTICAL end walls!
Attachments
First wall
First wall
dolfa

Post by dolfa »

Elliptical end walls should be no problem if you cold mould them out of veneers.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Dianne - Have you seen this thread?

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... e&start=12
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

No, I hadn't seen that Dick - thanks. There is some great information there!
Kayrixi

Post by Kayrixi »

Beautiful project, I can't wait to see more of it!