Winnipeg Electric Company Streetcar 356

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Winnipeg Electric Company Streetcar 356

Post by JBodenmann »

Dianne
I have been enjoying this thread. Your work is most excellent!
Jack
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Thank you Jack (and others) for the kind words. I, of course, look at my own work and am VERY critical, more so than I would ever be on someone else's. I see where I should have designed this a different way for a better result or where my workmanship was deficient and think how much better it should have been.

My first model was a 1/2 size traction engine and I often said I chose 1/2 scale because the allowable tolerances were bigger than the actual size of some of the parts a GOOD machinist can make! The second project was a Civil War cannon in 1/3rd scale which came out pretty good. The streetcar, at 1/8th is a challenge, trying to maintain tighter tolerances and greater consistency when making 12 parts the same and it is a challenge. The next project will be in metal again at 1/12th scale and I have a long way to go to do justice to a steam engine in 1" to the foot! I strive to improve on each model.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

It has been such a bitterly cold winter here that I have not even had the heat on in the shop since the beginning of the year but with the moderating temperature ("moderating" meaning warmer than -30C!) I have been back at the streetcar.

The clerestory roof had been installed before I quit for the extreme cold but yesterday and today were all about painting in preparation for the installation of the windows. The inside of the roof and the window frames got a coat of gloss white and the body got its first coat of colour.
Paint 1
Paint 1
Paint 2
Paint 2
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning :!: Dianne, :D

Looks GREAT :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
James A

Post by James A »

Pretty awesome work. I've been enjoying this also.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I have been side-tracked for the last few months with home renovations, visiting family, and various other unavoidable distractions but finally got back to streetcar related work.

Since the streetcar will have a detailed interior, the plan was to make a "motorman's car" to go behind the streetcar to carry the batteries, the controls, and the operator and with the streetcar getting close to making its debut, it was time to get at it.

I had a set of 8 1" steel disks that I had cut years ago and I took the time to turn them into 4" wheels, a CONSIDERABLE amount of time on my 1941 war-weary Southbend! I knocked together a truck frame from 1" square tube with bronze bushings but I am not sure how well it will work out.
Trucks.jpg
The body is a variation on wooden riding car plans, a drop-centre flat car, I found on the Net a few years ago, mostly 2x4s and 3/4" plywood. The seat was widened to accept a pair of marine batteries for the 24 volt system and a console incorporated at the front for the operator's controls. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the controls and wiring installed.
Frame.jpg
Before painting.jpg
chooch

Post by chooch »

Dianne,
May I ask how--if the Square tubes are bolted together, how would they flex for a little rough track . Just a thought, Maybe a washer between the connection would give a little.
Thanks.
chooch
PSeyfrit

Post by PSeyfrit »

Good to hear from you again Dianne. I looked at your home page when you had been silent so long and saw you had indeed been busy with home improvements.
Paul
Maryland
Club website http://calslivesteam.org
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

chooch wrote:Dianne,
May I ask how--if the Square tubes are bolted together, how would they flex for a little rough track . Just a thought, Maybe a washer between the connection would give a little.
Thanks.
chooch
The square tubes are not bolted tight and all joints are free to move. Each wheel can rise 1/4" with no problems.

The only thing I am concerned about is the ability of the frame to shift and become a parallelogram (with one side moving forward and the other back). That squeezes the flanges bronze bushings tight against the wheels and causes some drag but I don't know if that will happen on the rails or not. If it does, some re-design will be required where the bolster meets the side frames. I am suspecting that the wheel sets will want to move parallel to the direction of travel and that will keep the frame square. We'll see! :?:
chooch

Post by chooch »

Dianne B,
Thank you for reply and explanation.
I am Sure Not a talented builder like you and many others but, just thinking of Manufactured trucks, the Bolsters have some play in the side frames. Also, they press Against the side frames so to speak with both sides of the bolster end having sort of a shoulder so the bolster can not slide too far in or out. This might also help keeping the truck in alignment.
Maybe--just maybe if you find the bolster tube you made, a short piece of tube or angle fastened Under the Cross tube (less visible)parallel to the side (wheel) tube would help keep everything in line.
Jes` thinkin.`and hope it helps.
chooch
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

That's kind of what I was thinking Chooch.

Had to make another storage track this morning - everything was full LOL! - and still waiting on the paint to dry from last night but hope to do the wiring today or tomorrow and do the test run on Sunday.
Painted.jpg
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Hello Dianne,
Question. How close together are the wheel axels? They look to be shorter in distance than the gage. You may find that the truck will crab and wobble when moving down the track. Usually the wheel base (axel to axel distance) is greater than the tread width ( track gage in this case).
That is one fine looking trolley and the riding/control car will match.
Cary