Building my 1.5" scale Clishay as a beginner

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

littleevan99

Re: Building my 1.5" scale Clishay as a beginner

Post by littleevan99 »

Well, it runs pretty good!

1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T
2.5" 36 Ton Shay under construction
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/littleevan99
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Sounds better than "pretty good", it sounds GREAT

JB
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice!

What coal is being burned?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
littleevan99

Post by littleevan99 »

Utah coal from Lazzari, but it clinkers. I could run for around 6 hours before I would probably have to dump the grate. It smells great and burns hot though.
1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh! I'm originally from Utah. A lot of coal comes from Carbon County, used for fueling power plants. It's never been a favorite of the live steam guys, but these days a guy has to use what is available. I'm pleased to hear you are achieving success, as I hauled several 55 gallon barrels of Utah coal when I moved, a gift from a neighbor who sold his property to be developed as condominiums. Like you, I enjoy the smell of coal smoke, assuming it isn't too high in sulfur.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
littleevan99

Post by littleevan99 »

Is there any good way to break up the clinkers while its running without raking the fire like a madman?
1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I would think that 99% of Live Steamers would be done for the day long before 6 hours!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm certainly no help where clinkers are concerned. I have limited time at the throttle, and the coal in use (Drumheller, from Canada) didn't clinker much. With luck, someone with experience will provide guidance.

Harold
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Main thing you have to do with clinkers is to break them up with the poker and get them to fall down between the grates, or either pick them and get them out. Basically, a clinker is a ceramic material which is formed when clay and other impurities in the coal heat up enough to become molten. They then run down to the grates where they encounter the cold air coming up from underneath and they solidify. They are really good at choking off the air to your fire and sucking up heat. Clinkers can also fool you into thinking that your fire is OK when it is not. Those red-hot clinkers on the grate will cool off very quickly if your fire gets thin.

My advice is to rake the grates good a couple of times every hour. Coal should feel softer than a clinker. If you can rake it up and out, then you've taken care of the problem. Of if you can break it up and get it to fall down into the ash pan, that will take care of it. You can take it over to a siding, rake all of the coal over to one side, and then rake the grates good. Then move the coal over to the other side and repeat. Spread the coal back out on the grates and the add some more, and you should be good to go again.

I used to have to do this periodically on my small 0-4-2 Allen Chloe. It was surprising how a few clinkers in a 6"x6" firebox would have a big effect. I think I ended up raking about once per hour or so, but it depends on how bad your coal tends to clinker. You'll just have to experiment and see what works for your combination. I also had to brush the flues every 3 hours or so.

Also: Yes, 99% of people in the hobby would go out and run for a few hours and then be done. This is a young man, who will probably keep it in steam all day long! That's what I used to do with my Chloe... I would fire it up at about 8 AM at a meet and she would stay in steam until sometimes midnight when I finally blew it down and went home. That's been done on a bunch of occasions. There would be 3 or 4 of us that would take turns running the locomotive during that time, including FredV, Greg A., and the late Houston Cox. People used to make fun of me for eating my lunch sitting on the riding car, with a black hand-print on the sandwich! Ahhh... youth and energy!
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Harold_V wrote:and the coal in use (Drumheller, from Canada) didn't clinker much.
No coal mines around Drumheller anymore, that I know of. The old Atlas Coal Mine in Drumheller is open for tours in the Summer months. I've never been, but if anyone is ever up that way, I have been told ts a neat tour.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

redneckalbertan wrote:
Harold_V wrote:and the coal in use (Drumheller, from Canada) didn't clinker much.
No coal mines around Drumheller anymore, that I know of. The old Atlas Coal Mine in Drumheller is open for tours in the Summer months. I've never been, but if anyone is ever up that way, I have been told ts a neat tour.
The coal in question was already difficult for my old friend, Ernie Allen (now deceased), to obtain, and that was back in the early 90's. He was fortunate to be known by others as a live steamer, and was invited to clean out coal bins when folks converted to other forms of heat. That kept him pretty well supplied until he was no longer able to operate his engine.

By the way, Ernie used to mix coke with his coal. He had a source for foundry coke, which provided a hotter fire. The exhaust from his Jubilee was pleasant, thanks to the clean burning of his mixture.

I have a small amount of Drumheller coal, maybe 20 gallons.

Harold
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Kimball McGinley wrote:I would think that 99% of Live Steamers would be done for the day long before 6 hours!
That operating schedule is NOT compatible with running at Train Mountain!
~RN