Southern Pacific S-14 in 1.6"

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harlock

Re: Southern Pacific S-14 in 1.6"

Post by Harlock »

I've noticed the shrinkage with SW stainless as well, especially on IDs. I usually drill or ream to finish after I get them if it's critical, otherwise I oversize the hole a bit.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Life has been busy as of late so not much has been done, but I'm excited to show the first piece of my locomotive that was made with NO computer assistance! (aside from the CAD drawings...)
Here are a few shots of how I went about machining the first union link from a rectangle of 303 stainless steel. One down, one to go.

I wish I could say this was my first attempt, but machining is still very new to me, so it took a few tries to figure out a decent way to go about it.
Until next time.
-Anthony
303 SS 3/4" x 1/2" rectangle roughly 4" long bolted to a chunk of aluminum. I cut the radii first to make removing the metal in-between a little less stressful.
303 SS 3/4" x 1/2" rectangle roughly 4" long bolted to a chunk of aluminum. I cut the radii first to make removing the metal in-between a little less stressful.
Extra material removed to form the top profile
Extra material removed to form the top profile
Drilled the mounting holes with a tap drill, then drilled out the 3/16" clearance hole for the pin, leaving about .15" of threads on the end. The part is held with #10-32 screws. I removed the thread from the top 1/4" of the bolt to clear the internal threads of the part.
Drilled the mounting holes with a tap drill, then drilled out the 3/16" clearance hole for the pin, leaving about .15" of threads on the end. The part is held with #10-32 screws. I removed the thread from the top 1/4" of the bolt to clear the internal threads of the part.
I very carefully cut the radii of the ends, holding the link with a grip vice. There's a lock nut at the bottom keeping the screw from turning in the aluminum block. The part was surprisingly snug.
I very carefully cut the radii of the ends, holding the link with a grip vice. There's a lock nut at the bottom keeping the screw from turning in the aluminum block. The part was surprisingly snug.
After turning the ends it went back in the vice to have the slots cut out. A little clean up with sand paper to make it pretty. Now to do it all over again!
After turning the ends it went back in the vice to have the slots cut out. A little clean up with sand paper to make it pretty. Now to do it all over again!
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

I must say that part came out remarkably well. Thanks for sharing your techniques with us.

Donald
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Beautiful, Anthony. I'd say your figuring it out pretty quick for being new to machining. Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing.

Todd
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Gorgeous work, Anthony. I look forward to seeing more. Being new to this discussion board, I have much catching up to do.

I am presently having a set of Walshearts expansion links and blocks machined using wire EDM. I trust they will come out as nice as yours have!

To "kenrinc":
I hope to get in touch with Steve Vitkovits, because I am also building a 90-ton Mikado, and wish to communicate with others building the same. Can you help me with this, please?

I will also report my Mikado progress when I get more acquainted with this discussion group.
Thanks,
Russ in Seattle
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Thank you everyone for the compliments. It really does help keep me going!

Things are slowly progressing with the switcher. The axles have been turned, the molds for the drivers are at the foundry and should be poured this week, and I've started the tiresome process of turning chunks of metal into journal boxes. I also machined the crosstie for the frame, which was roughed out first on a water jet. Made for relatively easy machining.
IMG_4337.jpg
I got this idea from Peter Mosely's C-16's. A tapered screw hides the oil holes.
IMG_4362.jpg
IMG_4361.jpg
Journal boxes in progress. Showing the trimmed-down blank, turning, then finally milling.
IMG_4392.jpg
And the frame crosstie. My apologies for the poor photo quality on this one.
IMG_4363.jpg
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Soon to come... Drivers!
These molds are 3D printed directly in sand. No patterns were used whatsoever. The thought that it's a one-shot deal makes me nervous, but I'm remaining optimistic. They'll be poured this week. Interestingly, some of the molds show printing lines and others don't.

More on this soon.
IMG_4341.jpg
IMG_4342.jpg
IMG_4347.jpg
IMG_4348.jpg
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Just called the foundry to check in on the drivers. They said the castings came out well and I'm dying to see them! :D
I'll pick them up next thursday and post pics here! I've been so anxious about them pouring well, and now I'm just anxious to get them on my lathe!
ThisGuyTwo

Post by ThisGuyTwo »

Where do you get your foundry work done? Information like that could be useful around here.

Also great work on the CAD parts, always great to see the parts come together before you start.

-Peter
“When you want to know how things really work, study them when they're coming apart.” ― William Gibson

Moderator of Pacific Coast Scenic Rail blog: http://pacificcoastrailroads.tumblr.com/
Volunteer on 2479 Restoration Project: http://www.ctrc.org/
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

ThisGuyTwo wrote:Where do you get your foundry work done? Information like that could be useful around here.

Also great work on the CAD parts, always great to see the parts come together before you start.

-Peter
Peter,

I had the molds sent to Sunset Foundry in Valley Springs, CA. They only pour grey iron.
http://www.sunsetfoundry.com

Printing was done by Hoosier Pattern in Indiana. http://www.hoosierpattern.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-olDixjcs
Fender

Post by Fender »

I went to the Hoosier web site and found this item: A Racing Engine Oil Pump Produced through Addictive Manufacturing :lol: There's something that spell check didn't catch. I'll have to admit that a lot of what we do is "addictive"!
Nevertheless, a very interesting process.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Fender wrote:I went to the Hoosier web site and found this item: A Racing Engine Oil Pump Produced through Addictive Manufacturing :lol: There's something that spell check didn't catch. I'll have to admit that a lot of what we do is "addictive"!
Nevertheless, a very interesting process.
A typo? Or freudian slip? It's DEFINITELY addictive!