Clishay Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

wagonmaker

Re: 3/4" Clishay Build

Post by wagonmaker »

Thanks Mike, give me a shout when you get back from your shift and I will come up and see you.

Do you have a computer with you on the boat?

Cheers,

Tom
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Wagon: the dropped project I have was made to run on groudntrack normally set for 3/4 inch. They provided that the trucks had teh wheels gauged for the axles, in the regular design. If you take this route, you open up two markets/uses available to you, with only a set of axles being diferent. Everything else may be built like the book, or not as you choose.

In my sketch, many changes are afoot. Larger engine, with stephenson reverse, so no flipping and slipping gears. A small reduction in the drive to let the engine spin a bit. A hand pump for idling, and a 4 wheel woods engine look, that dumps the Kooky slack chain between trucks. I have a parts bin that is collecting all the stuff to go on the frame, and boiler already built. (Steel shell fire tube, welded.)

Just a thought.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
wagonmaker

Post by wagonmaker »

Thanks Dave,

At this point I am now not sure what I will build ... the more I think about it, the more confused I get. For now I am sticking with the donkey build, and slowly make some plans for the other.

Cheers,

Tom
wagonmaker

Re: Clishay Build

Post by wagonmaker »

Ok, so I made my decision ... all scientific like.

Put all my options on pieces of paper and tacked them to a bulletin board... turned myself around three times and then threw a dart at the board ... and hit the cat!

Only kidding. I did throw a dart and it landed on what I should have done in the first place ... build the clishay engine. My thinking is that if I can get that to run then I will do the rest of it.

Cylinder blanks are nearly done, engine base plate and cylinder mounting plate are roughed out.

Camera is dead but I will get some pics soon.

Cheers

Tom
wagonmaker

Post by wagonmaker »

Some progress has been made on the engine. I am doing it full size.

The cylinder mounting plate wasn't to bad to do. I started chain drilling, but that approach has never worked for me, so I just milled out to the lines and a couple of hours later it was done.
P1040530.jpg
plate.jpg
The cylinders were carved out of a piece of 12L14 3" round. They need a bunch of drilling and finishing to length, but so far I am pleased.
P1040532.jpg
In the coming week I am going to tr and get the cylinders finished and the pistons done.

Cheers,

Tom
wagonmaker

Post by wagonmaker »

No pics this time, but just a bit of a report ... engine base plate is cut to size, and the three oblong holes are cut into it. Tomorrow or next day I will drill the holes required in it and that will be done. I also got all the cylinder head covers and steam chest covers cut to size and they just need to be drilled and they are done.

Hopefully by weeks end the cylinders will be done and temporarily mounted.

Cheers,

Tom
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Looks like another build thread. Harold? :lol:

Ken-
wagonmaker

Post by wagonmaker »

OOOOPS .... Yes, It looks like I put this in the wrong spot .... could it be moved over to the build thread area please. Also, if it is getting moved, could the thread name be changed to just Clishay Build please.

Thanks,

Tom
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

wagonmaker wrote:OOOOPS .... Yes, It looks like I put this in the wrong spot .... could it be moved over to the build thread area please. Also, if it is getting moved, could the thread name be changed to just Clishay Build please.

Thanks,

Tom
No problem. I'll drop the 3/4", assuming that's what you mean. If not, let me know. It's easy enough to make the change.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
wagonmaker

Post by wagonmaker »

Thank You Harold for moving this. Yes to dropping the "3/4 in the title. I am building the engine full size and what it drives is up in the air at this point.

The main engine plate is done and I just need to clean it up a bit.
enginebase.jpg
Cheers

Tom
wagonmaker

Post by wagonmaker »

I am into the hole drilling and tapping mode at the moment. I didn't realize that there were forty in the cylinders, top covers and cylinder plate... and that doesn't include the steam chests and covers!

I made some mandrils to line everything up and I have to say they are working well.

Pics tomorrow.

My lathe packed it in so now I have to fix it.

Cheers

Tom
wagonmaker

Post by wagonmaker »

O.K., so after a bunch of drilling and tapping, I have made some progress.

My processes were not earth shattering ... mainly what has been done before.

I marked out and drilled one of the cylinder top plates ... then I made a wee mandril to match the thread hole size (before threading) and the 1/2 inch hole in the cylinder plate. A bolt held it all together whilst I drilled the through holes ...
plate1.jpg
I did the holes for both cylinders that way.

Then, I mounted 1 cylinder at a time, using another mandril that went from the 1.25 cylinder size, down to the 1.2" hole in the plate. Bolted in place, I then used the top plate for each cylinder as a guide, bolted them in place and drilled and tapped the holes ...
cylinder3.jpg
Here are the parts ... the large mandril goes from 1.25 inches down to 1/2". The wee mandril goes from 1/2" to an "S" size hole...
parts.jpg
So, both cylinders are mounted to the cylinder plate, drilled for the top plate, and ready to drill the valving holes, and the steam chests.

Next up will be to cut and silver solder the parts for the steam chests.

Theoretically, the parts are in mail to rebuild my lathe cross slide. If the parts are not correct then I will have to make some.

Cheers,

Tom