A Real Dirty Job

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: A Real Dirty Job

Post by Dick_Morris »

When I need small angle or channel I cut square tubing lengthwise and mill the edges to size. On the smaller stuff the corners are relatively square and it comes in several thicknesses. It's available in mild steel and SS. I usually cut one piece of square into four lengths of angle. It tends to distort slightly when the stresses are released, but it's managable.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Fly cutting the HR steel angle to finished thickness on the wide face.

For HR steel, I had to experiment several times with the clearance angles on the HSS tool bit, increasing them several times and honing the rounded cutting edge to have a fine flat surface finish. DOC was 0.003" - 0.010" at 90-135 RPM with a very slow feed rate (about 0.75" min.) and reversing the cut at the end of a pass to achieve the scraping finish I wanted. I guess this means my mill spindle is very slightly out of tram. It is at times like this one wishes for table power feed.
Attachments
453 Fly Cutting Angle.jpg
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Pushing on with the angle milling of the cut down angle and the cab rear support sheet.
Attachments
457 Angle Milling an End of the Cut Down Angle .jpg
455 Angle Milling the Cab End Support Sheet.jpg
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Further along after some band sawing, milling, belt sanding, drilling and tapping. Am just doing the minimum drilling and tapping to align with the existing holes in the engine's cradle and cab floor.
Attachments
459 The Completed Rear Cab Sheet External Shape.jpg
463 The Nearly Finished Assembly.jpg
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Finishing the cab rear support sheet.

The automatic stoker tunnel cutout in the cab rear support sheet was produced through more band sawing, belt sanding and milling. Nothing special here other than taking the usual care with each operation.
Attachments
464 Milling the Automatic Stoker Tunnel Cutout.jpg
465 The Setup for Milling a Forty Five Degree Edge on the Automatic Stoker Tunnel.jpg
466 After Milling.jpg
467 The Finished Cab Rear Support Sheet.jpg
468 The Cab Rear Support Sheet Installed on the Engine.jpg