Boston & Albany K6b Pacific

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

BobbyT

Re: Boston & Albany K6b Pacific

Post by BobbyT »

The drivers are finally done. Turned, bored, broached and all the casting flash cleaned up. Now to find the time to mount them on the axles.
Attachments
100_2237.JPG
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

SteamHeaton wrote:Nice work Bobby. I really enjoyed reading through your build so far. Looking forward to following along. Ray III
Thanks Ray, it has been a fun build so far.

Bobby
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

It always amazes me how life can toss us a curve ball. I am sorry for the lack of updates. With the loss of my dear friend Peter B., I have also lost my "home track" and equipment storage facilities. Thus the LE 0-6-0 had to be brought home and is occupying the engine stand that I should be building the Pacific on.
The silver lining in all this is that with the 0-6-0 home I can finally address some minor issues that I couldn't take care of when it was stored at the track.
So this thread is not dead, just parked for what i hope is a short time.

Bobby
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Goodness, has it really been 14 months? I have been working on the Pacific but not nearly as much as I would like.
I finished the front truck. It is a modified Little Engines truck with new side frames and equalizers. The LE truck frames while being a very proven design, was too short for this particular prototype. The wheels and axles have since been installed. Now to move on to making the crank pins!
Attachments
100_2574.JPG
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Bobby, so great to see you back at work on your Pacific! Can't wait to see what you will tackle next!

Rob
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

At the rate I find time for this engine I should have it steamed up by June 15th.........2030! I have made some progress, The drivers are finally on the axles. I had to make new longer spring perches since the originals were a tad short. Of course now I had to make longer spring hangers.
Attachments
20170128_152107.jpg
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

Looks great Bobby ,at least you are building, this is what this hobby needs,just keep making one piece at a time,and she will get done
Joe
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Finally have some time to dedicate to this build. The trailing truck is the area I am focused on right now.
Just got the leaf springs done over the weekend.
Attachments
IMG_0044.JPG
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

I squared up some h/r flat bar I had handy to make the binders.
Attachments
IMG_0042.JPG
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Viola, poor mans c/r.
Attachments
IMG_0045.JPG
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Got a lot done to the journals, just need to mount the face plates. It feels good to be making some serious progress. Unfortunately for this build log, I tend to get into the work and forget about taking pictures.
Attachments
IMG_0043.JPG
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Update: Trailing truck has been finished, assembled and painted....... of course I have no photos :roll:

I machined the draw bar pocket.
Attachments
20181029_192114 (600x800) (480x640).jpg