B-17 flying overhead all weekend!

In this forum, users are encouraged to share great places to see in their area. Please be sure to list Name of the venue, City & State, Operating hours, a review and a web link if possible. The intent is so that those planning a trip or visiting your area might be interested in visiting! Pictures of the venue are also welcome.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

B-17 flying overhead all weekend!

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Must be an antique fly in going on at Boeing Field this weekend. A B-17 has been flying over our house at around 1500' yesterday and today. We are on the flight path from the Cascades west into Seattle, so the pilot must be flying a 60 minute loop around the region. What a marvelous sound. Incomparable! Suppose I'll spend the rest of the day trying to get a picture.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Steggy

Re: B-17 flying overhead all weekend!

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote:A B-17 has been flying over our house at around 1500' yesterday and today.
Just keep an eye on those bomb bay doors. If they open you better run like hell! :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

We had one land at our little airport some years ago. Flew over my house....maybe 300'.
Quite a rumble I'll tell ya! Wish I could of gone and taken a peak, but I was getting ready to head back to work. :( It was in town all day.
Commemorative Air Force was flying around touring it. What I saw of it was impressive!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

Super Powerful History in our face. Like you said Glenn B. Audio would be a great part of it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

not sure but i think the world was 2 war bird people and doing displays and paid flights/fundraising in the pnw. may have static displays up at the museum of flight or such.. true ly impressive.

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/event ... te=2015-06
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Cool! It moves me to highlight our 1955 1-1/2" scale Lima Switcher is powered by a B-17 turret motor.

John
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Not sure where my second post disappeared to, but, found out this is the 75th anniversary of the B-17 aircraft. So Boeing put on a big open house and B-17 fly in at Boeing field to celebrate. I think there where two different A/C involved. If so, a remarkable fly in as there are only 10 B-17's left in airworthy condition.

Never did get a photo of one flying over the house. But saw several fly bys today and yesterday. About an hour apart. Must have been one tremendous experience for those lucky enuf to book a ride.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

We've had B-17's and B-29's here. I love those old birds; without them, we'd all be speaking German or Japanese.

At least two of my good friends had father's who were B-17 crewmen; both made it through their missions and came home; hat's off to the one's that didn't.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

My office is near an airport where the warbirds fly in. They give rides, so occationally, you hear an odd sound and spot a Flying Fortress, a Mitchell or a Liberator flying overhead.

I was on the phone with a co-worker who works out of his house. He was working with his laptop out on the deck and in mid sentence he said something like "you should see what just flew overhead".

Steve
dbstoo

Post by dbstoo »

I hitched a ride in the Collngwooods foundation B17 last year. If you can ever afford it, I highly recommend it.

This is the view from the bombardier's seat a few thousand feet above Concord Calif.

And then there is me after the 80 MPH blow dry (engines running while we boarded). Yes, that's the biggest grin that I've had in years. Image
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Just learned last week that one of the two operating B-29's is going to be in Cincinnati two weeks from today.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing it fly around the neighborhood. I'm just a few miles from where it will be quartered while here.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Our son has always been a WWII history "buff". When he returned home from his combat tour in Iraq in 2005 as a Combat Medic with the 1st Cav Div, we purchased a ride for him in B-17 "Nine-O-Nine". Went up for an hour long ride over Southern California and out over the Pacific along the Malibu coast line. Flew out of Bob Hope Airport at that time. The grin on his face as he got out of the plane was priceless :).
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993